Change heading Senate’s way

Newly-elected Student Senate president Eric Norris has several duties during the upcoming semester, including coordinating intramural sports.

After all has been wrapped up with Student Senate for the year, one new officer has already made several plans for the next semester.

“I sat in on Senate this year and wasn’t pleased with the leadership,” said Eric Norris, Senate president.

Norris said he wants to make the Senate more organized and run meetings formally.

He also wants to reach out more to the community and campus.

“It just takes all four of us [officers] at the head table,” he said. “I want to bring the prestige back to Senate.”

Norris said he wants to begin working to bring more students on Senate at the beginning of the academic year.

Norris also works as the student coordinator of intramural sports.

“I think that if some of that enthusiasm will carry over, Senate participation will increase,” said Doug Carnahan, dean of students and advisor to Senate.

Carnahan said he thinks Norris will do a good job as president and will work to improve Senate status in campus relations.

“He has lots of initiative,” Carnahan said. “We know Eric well. He works with us closely.”

Adam Griffin, adviser to Senate, agreed with Carnahan.

“He’s done a great job with the intramural program,” Griffin said. “If he carries over the effort, our numbers will stay up.”

Griffin said Norris already does a good job at talking with the student population whether through the intramural sports or just out on his own.

The publicity by the officers will help gain student participation.

“I think we have a good group of officers,” Griffin said.

Norris said he is looking forward to working with the other new officers as well.

He said he has discussed financial issues with Garrison Earnest, Senate treasurer, and thinks Earnest will do a good job keeping track of Senate finances.

Norris also said the new Senate secretary, Kristen Duwe, will do well with Senate work.

“Kristen is the most organized person I know,” he said.

He said Greg Salzer, vice president and State News Editor for The Chart, will work hard to fill student positions on committees.

Norris said he will work with the three officers to make students aware of Senate activities and its involvement with student life.

He said the goals for the Senate will include the continuation of the recreation center and the electronic sign as well as more work with disabled parking on campus.

Griffin said Norris will represent the student body by listening to the student body and the senators representing it.

“He’ll take a stand,” Griffin said. “If you come in and take over like that, you gain respect.”