Dynamite actors, Finals Madness top discussion

After a year of discussions, allocations, planning and presenting, Missouri Southern’s Campus Activities Board held their final meeting on April 27.

Five students were in attendance for the meeting.

The group discussed bringing Napoleon Dynamite actor Jon Heder to Southern. CAB is still in negotiations with Heder’s agent.

“We’ve heard from other campuses who have had him speak,” said Julie Blackford, director of student activities. “They all had good things to say about his presentation.”

Heder would not be coming to Southern as Napoleon, but he would present a speech on acting and moviemaking.

Along with Heder, Southern may also bring Efren Ramirez, better known as Pedro.

Negotiations are still in the works.

“I think negotiations are going well,” said Melanie Epperson, secretary for the student activities office. “I hope we get him.”

Blackford said she would like feedback from students on whether or not they would like to see Heder come to campus. Students are encouraged to stop by the student activities office on the second floor of the Billingsly Student Center or send an e-mail to [email protected].

As for the remainder of the semester, CAB is planning Finals Madness, which will take place on May 4 at 8 p.m. outside of McCormick Hall.

In the event of rain, the venue will be moved to the Leggett & Platt Athletic Center.

Activities include laser tag, Frisbee golf and sand volleyball. Free T-shirts, pizza and pulled pork will be provided. Other games and activities will also be available.

The event will be the final one of the semester.

Blackford said due to lack of participation in CAB, she is considering changing the meeting time.

“Maybe noon on Wednesdays,” she said. “We’re still not quite sure.”

As for her opinion on how CAB has gone this semester, Blackford is positive.

“Members of CAB have been awesome,” Blackford said.

She said despite low numbers, the few students who did help in their events were the reason CAB could put on events.

“People don’t realize how hard it is to put on events,” Blackford said. “They want to have fun without the work.”

Finals Madness marks the end of CAB’s semester. Blackford hopes to hear some feedback from students about things they wish to see or do on campus in upcoming semesters.