New director takes reins of CAB

Tori maloukis, director of Student Activities, and Greek advisor (center), talks about scool activities with students Truman Yeary, sophomore finance major, (left) and Danna West, freshman accounting major, at the Meet the Greeks picnic.

Tori maloukis, director of Student Activities, and Greek advisor (center), talks about scool activities with students Truman Yeary, sophomore finance major, (left) and Danna West, freshman accounting major, at the “Meet the Greeks” picnic.

The Campus Activities Board at Missouri Southern has welcomed a new addition to its office.

Tori Maloukis, of Tulsa has taken over the position as the new director of student activities while Julie Blackford has moved on to Student Support Services.

“I just finished my masters in counseling [from Northeastern State University],” Blackford said. “And I know a job like this doesn’t open up everyday.”

Blackford said she is more than pleased with her successor and said she worked hard during the summer to make sure things were ready for Maloukis’s arrival.

“I know Tori will do a great job,” Blackford said. “She was really excited about the position and I know she is very qualified.”

Being involved with the socially stimulating aspect of college is something Maloukis said she has always been interested in.

“I was sitting in corporate America after I graduated thinking this really isn’t for me and decided this is the route for me,” she said.

Nearly completing her master’s degree in student personnel services, Maloukis found her niche.

Maloukis was formerly employed at a vocational medical college before accepting what she calls her “dream job.”

“I really enjoyed my college career,” she said. “Why not give back the same environment, the same experience I had.”

Melanie Epperson, secretary of student services, said she is excited with what Maloukis is going to bring to the table.

“It’s nice having new blood here at Southern,” Epperson said. ” I just think it’ll be nice to try new things.”

Epperson said with Tori’s musical background, ideas such as the incorporation of local bands have been contemplated.

One of the goals Maloukis has set as the new director of student activities is to seek out “natural leaders” on campus who are not afraid to jump out and get others involved in activities.

Upon hearing about a lack in participation, Maloukis also said she wants to see more participation at athletic events .

She would especially like to see it at sporting events like soccer, track and field and baseball that sometimes do not receive as much acknowledgement.

In order to build overall spirit, Maloukis has the intention of starting a small incentive program for organizations to show up at events.

“That’s something people could really get excited about,” she said.

Having been a college golfer, Maloukis said she knows what its like to have or not have support from her peers.

“Athletics is a lot about skill, but it’s also about heart,” Maloukis said. “If you can get that crowd backing you, you’d be amazed at what a team can do.”