Hurricane relief efforts spring forth on campus community

With the devastation of hurricane Katrina in the south, Missouri Southern’s campus is pulling together to help in the relief efforts.

University President Julio León has offered to waive out-of-state tuition and late-enrollment fees to all those attending educational institutions displaced by Katrina.

“It’s just a way of helping out,” León said.

He said it is important to help people in need.

“We’ll do everything we can to assist,” he said. “We can certainly extend out our hand to those who need us.”

Organizations across the campus are working to raise money and supplies for those affected by the storm.

The History Club, in conjunction with Phi Alpha Theta, raised money from Sept. 2 to Sept. 8 in the second floor of Webster Hall.

“It’ll take years to rebuild,” said Kristen Hawkins, senior history education major.

Hawkins said the efforts will be combined with the efforts of others across campus.

“It’s time we do something for our society,” Hawkins said.

Organizations may use the Student Activities Office as a central donation location.

Tori Maloukis, director of student activities, said the office will help organize all fund-raising activities if any organization wants to do something with the relief efforts.

“Right now the Red Cross is just focusing on monetary relief,” Maloukis said.

She said, though, organizations are welcome to donate supplies if they want.

A donation box is in the Billingsly Student Center from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday for an indefinite period of time.

“As one group, I think we can raise a lot more money,” Maloukis said.

Some organizations are working to find needed supplies.

The German Club, for example, is willing to accept clothing and toiletries to take to a CFI trailer near Schifferdecker and 20th streets.

Posters with available bins will be posted around campus.

Maloukis said there will be donation boxes available as people walk into the upcoming home games.

Rod Surber, director of public information, is asking any and all organizations to contact his office to help bring everyone together. This goes for any Southern-related organization whether student or alumni based.

“This will help us do two things,” he said. “One, we know what is going on. Two, we can coordinate the efforts.”

Surber said the efforts will be more efficient once everyone is organized.

“It’s going to be a long time relief effort,” he said.

A web page has been dedicated on the Southern server to all organizations working on their relief efforts. The address is www.mssu.edu/katrinarelief

A link to the page appears on the Southern website.

More organizations will be involved in the effort, but at the time of publications, not every organization had a definite plan.

However, Surber believes the campus is on the right track.

“It’s wonderful,” he said. “It’s the American spirit. We are historically a generous people. There are so many ways people can help.”