Students have mixed views over food

Dan Fedewa, freshman meterological sciences major serves himself a meal among the available dining hall food.

Food services on campus has made its way into the students’ palates.

New adjustments in the food service on campus were created at the beginning of the semester to give students something different and more options in their meals.

Munowar Ahmed, director of food service, said he has brought students not only new variety in food options, a taste of different cultures also.

Ahmed said so far he has received a positive reaction from the students.

He has even received e-mails from students commending him on some of the specials and encouraging him to keep up the good work.

“Sales at the Lion’s Den have gone almost doubled as compared to last year,” he said.

Students have the option of grilled foods like burgers and fries or a deli.

“So far the students have been very happy and we have reacted to their suggestions and thoughts,” Ahmed said.

He said if any students have any questions, suggestions or even complaints, he has an open door policy and is open to talk.

Some students said they need to talk about the food.

Some students have complained of not only having the same meals, but in some cases, feeling ill afterwards.

Mark Watson, freshman sports management major, does not give the food his seal of approval.

“It’s horrible,” he said.

He said he has aches on occasions after eating in the dining hall.

“I went in on Wednesday and they had some grilled cheese sandwiches from Tuesday,” said Donavon Mayes, freshman political science major. “My stomach started hurting real bad. My dad sent me grocery money so I don’t have to eat in there anymore.”

Jennica White, student liaison for the food committee, said there was a recent meeting on Sept. 15 open to students about the food service.

The meeting took place in the Blaine Hall conference room and is a monthly event.

“We basically discussed all the issues that are going on,” White said.

Among the students who showed up, White said there were helpful suggestions given.

As for those unfavorable to their meal choices, White said she believes since it is cafeteria food it is probably going to be frowned upon regardless of any changes.

“It’s food for the masses,” White said. “They eat it everyday.”

While White said she has heard some negative comments about the food service among students, she did not see any of those faces at the meeting.

“I would encourage them to write on the comment card,” White said. “Also, they can contact me at McCormick Hall.”