Aerobics class provides break from homework

Courtney Tate, senior health promotion and wellness major, left, leads her students in aerobics routines.

Stretching in front of mirrors isn’t something one would necessarily do everyday. However, one group does meet twice a week to do just that.

The Missouri Southern Wellness Program through Campus Recreation has created an aerobics instruction class with student instructors.

Cortney Tate, senior health promotion and wellness major, is the student instructor for the class.

“It takes your mind off the busy week,” Tate said.

Tate said she decided to teach the class after enrolling in a similar class last year.

She has eight students signed up for the class currently, but would like to see more.

“It’s always fun with a big class,” she said.

The class teaches students how to develop cardiac exercises through stretching and movement routines.

“You really can’t compare it to anything else,” Tate said.

The students in the class enjoy the sessions.

“It keeps you in shape and it helps keep off college weight,” said Brooke Parks, sophomore pre-physical therapy major.

Parks said she heard about the class through friends and decided to join.

“It’s hard, but fun,” she said.

Jill Lucas, sophomore nursing major, agrees with Parks.

“I kind of do it to forget about all the homework I have,” she said. “It’s a fun way to exercise.”

The program comes in four sessions. Each session is one-month long. It is currently in its second session.

There is a fee, however, for the program. Each session costs $10, but anyone can sign up for a full semester at $30 for classes which meet twice a week. Non Missouri Southern faculty, staff and students must pay $25 per session.

The money will go back into the Campus Recreation program.

Tate said anyone can come to a session for free just to try out.

“Come try it out even to see if you like it,” Tate said.

Tate said there are many benefits of using aerobic exercise including a release of endorphins, becoming active and healthy and building self-esteem.

A mini-session will be held toward the end of the semester for anyone interested in instructing a course or becoming certified as an instructor.

The session runs from Nov. 28 to Dec. 16. The certification costs around $187.

The aerobics fitness class meets every Monday and Wednesday at 5:30 p.m. in the aerobics room on the first floor of the Student Life Center.

A high and low floor-step aerobics class also meets in the same room every Tuesday and Thursday at noon.

For more information, contact Campus Recreation at 625-9392.