Resident director keeps busy schedule

Jennica White, senior vocal performance major, spends her time doing several jobs including resident director and serving on the Food service committee. She is also still performing recitals.

She’s a world-class traveler. Her main goal in life was to meet Davy Jones of The Monkees, and she did. She’s been on stage, in the spotlight, since she was ten years old. She became engaged on a gondola ride in Italy. But now Jennica White is known as a new resident director for Missouri Southern.

White grew up in Catoosa, Okla., where her parents home-schooled her and her brother until they were seniors in high school. During this time, she participated in Community Theater, having the lead role in many of the performances, her favorite being Repunsal in the adaptation of “Into the Woods.” White, a vocal music performance major, now spends her last days of her senior year at Southern preparing to repeat her role as Repunsal, as her senior solo recital is quickly approaching.

When her time is not spent practicing for her recital, White can be found in her new home in McCormick Hall. As resident director, White is in charge of keeping in line all the girls in McCormick and the apartment units. She’s in charge of making room assignments, disciplining those who break the rules and dealing with irate parents. Adam Griffin, director of student housing, has no doubt White will do well at her new job.

“Jennica is doing great,” he said. “Actually better than I did when I started. Before I know it, she’ll be taking over my job.”

Along with resident director comes the responsibility of being the chairperson for the Food Committee. As chairperson, students can leave their comments or concerns of the food situation in the school cafeteria with her. Once a month, the Food Service meets with her to hear the thoughts of those on campus.

All of these responsibilities do not stop her from traveling all over world and starting her new life with her husband of two months, Andy. Jennica and Andy became friends at Southern and then started dating right before he left to study one year in France. She decided to surprise him on spring break with a visit, but she was the one to be surprised, by far, when Andy proposed while they were traveling through Europe.

“Marriage is great,” Jennica said. “There’s no way to prepare yourself for the whole experience, but it’s so much more than I ever thought it would be.”

“I hope to be able to get some kind of management experience out of this new job, and someday I’d like to be able to open my own little performance studio,” she said.

She believes with the motivation and aspiration she is filled with, she should have no problem reaching any of her goals.