Battle of bulge starts morning right

Chris Landstad, junior biology major, lifts weights spotted by Kevin Ferdig, senior biology major.

Meagan Pietrzak

In seven weeks, spring break 2006 will kick off.

Missouri Southern’s last day of classes before will be March 17.

Spring break is an opportunity to earn money or a chance to get away from the pressures of school and relax. However, a few students will have one thing on their mind when it comes to spring break-looking good for a vacation.

Students have begun heading to the Student Life Center to work off an extra layer of Christmas cookies and eggnog.

“I started tanning yesterday and I am taking a weight lifting class to help get in shape for spring break,” said ReGenia Brown, junior criminal justice major. “I’ve also been eating healthy.”

Many students don’t know where to begin.

“Stick to new years resolutions,” said Cindy Webb, fitness and wellness director. “Doing cardiovascular and strength training together will produce better results. Strength training increases your metabolism and tones you up making you look better. It also helps with posture, which immediately makes you look thinner.”

Personal trainers are also available to help students create a workout that best fits the individual needs. Southern offers a Personal Exercise Program that tailors a fitness plan to your specific needs. Typical sessions include blood pressure screening, body composition screening, goal setting and exercise prescription. The cost to students is $15 per hour. For more information, call 625-9878.

Southern has a variety of fitness classes such as yoga, aerobics and strength training and the hours at the SLC have been lengthened for early morning workouts.

“The Student Life Center will open at 6:30 a.m., Monday through Friday, beginning Jan. 16,” said Darren Fullerton, director of campus recreation and wellness. “We hope everyone will take advantage of this exercise to improve personal fitness.”

If someone is the type of person that needs incentive to work out, the campus recreation office developed the Get Physical program. It promotes cross training and cardiovascular fitness. The Get Physical program rewards participants for exercising on a regular basis. Participants keep track of their workouts, and earn prizes such as T-shirts, gym bags, pullovers and more.

“There are 43 students, faculty and staff signed up for Get Physical”, said Courtney Tate, senior health promotions and wellness major and student fitness and wellness coordinator. “Only 27 have turned in miles.”

For more information about Get Physical, call 625-9392.

By Meagan Pietrzak

Staff Writer