Southern’s News Briefs

Speech, debate squad sends two toward quarterfinal matches

The Missouri Southern Speech and Debate Squad competed in the Annual Gorlock Gala Debate tournament from Jan. 26 to Jan. 29 at Webster University.

In the Lincoln-Douglas debate, sophomores Michael Baca and Dylan Slagal qualified for elimination rounds. Slagel lost on a 2-1 decision in the double octo-final round. Baca went to quarterfinals.

Freshmen Matt Templeton and David read qualified for elimination rounds in novice parliamentary debate.

The team went to semi-finals before a 2-1 decision loss. Reed won a second place individual speaker award.

The team will travel on Saturday to Washburn University for the Spring Capitol Classic.

Outstanding student award nomination forms now being accepted

Nominations for the Outstanding Student Award are now being accepted. Nomination forms will be sent to each department. However, forms can be found online at the alumni office’s Web site.

A letter of recommendation must accompany all applications. The letters will provide information not obtainable by other forms. In addition to this form, the student will be contacted for more information on academics, involvement and leadership.

Applications are due back to the alumni office by 3 p.m. Feb. 13. Questions should be directed to Deb Gipson at 625-9673.

Plans underway for 14th annual Langston Hughes celebration

Plans are underway for the 14th annual Langston Hughes celebration at Southern. At 7 p.m. Feb. 24 in Webster Hall auditorium, Carmaletta Williams will present a night of music, poetry and new insight into the life of Hughes.

Williams is the author of a book on Hughes in the classroom. She has also monitor poetry circles and performed the roles of characters in Hughes’ works.

The event is free to the public.

Alumni Association seeks help searching for former JuCo players

Special activities will be performed to recognize the former players of all sports on Feb. 18, when the men’s and women’s basketball teams host Truman State University.

During the day, all former players, coaches, trainers, cheerleaders and support staff members from the former Joplin Junior College and the Jasper County Junior College will be recognized for their work and effort.

The JJC and the JCJC players, the athletics department and the Alumni Association will take part.

These organizations are asking for help in locating former players or anyone wanting to be recognized.

For more information, contact Elisa Bryant in the Alumni Office at 625-3068.

College Goal Sunday schedule allows students to find help with financial aid

The Lumina Foundation is sponsoring the College Goal Sunday from 2 to 4 p.m. Feb. 12 in Cornell Auditorium.

This is a national program which was created to inform and assist students with gathering financial aid information and filling out the FAFSA application online.

The program is open to any seeking help with their financial aid.

Students should bring, Social Security number (can be found on Social Security card), Driver’s license (if any), 2005 W-2 Forms and other records of money earned, 2005 untaxed income records, Social Security, Temporary Assistance to Needy Families, welfare, or veterans benefits records, 2005 bank statements, 2005 business and investment mortgage information, business and farm records, stock, bond, and other investment record, an alien registration card (if one is not a U.S. citizen).

Newsmakers features interview with congressman Roy Blunt

The program Newsmakers will feature an interview with U.S. Rep. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.) to be aired at 5:30 a.m. Saturday on KOAM-TV.

Host Judy Stiles will discuss the issues Congress will face as it begins its new year. Blunt will also discuss his constituents’ concerns on energy prices and prescription drug plans.

He will also discuss his own plans for remaining House Majority Leader and his thoughts on the war on terrorism, Iraqi threats and other items.

The interview will also air at 12:30 p.m. Feb. 12 on KOZJ and KOZK.

Pro Musica commissions composer to write new piece with great money

A grant from the National Endowment for the Arts is allowing Pro Musica to commission American composer Paul Schoenfield to write a new piece for string quartet titled, “The Sower.” The Joplin area will be the first to hear this new piece.

The new composition will be presented at 7 p.m. Feb 23 at the Calvary Baptist Church. General admission is $10, but is $30 for the champagne reception at the Spiva Center for the Arts after the concert.

For more information, call 626-8194 or 623-8865. Or, visit the Pro Musica www.promusicajoplin.org.

George Washington Carver monument celebrates Black History Month

The public is invited to celebrate Black History Month at George Washington Carver National Monument near Diamond.

The month will feature several programs including African American Trailblazers, Frederick Douglass: An American Life and Freedom Fighter, Expressions of the Soul and Harriet Tubman: The Quest for Freedom. For more information, call 325-4151.