Campus activities gives student several options for holiday

Tori Maloukis - Director of Students Activities

Tori Maloukis – Director of Students Activities

On Feb. 14, in the Billingsly Student Center, students will have the opportunity to participate in Healthy Relationships Day, formally Healthy Relationships week.

In the past, the week consisted of several activities and booths each day focusing on different types of relationships.

Tori Maloukis, director of student activities, said there will be more participation in the event if it was all done at once.

“We just decided that it would be more highly focused if we just focused on a day instead of entire week,” Maloukis said.

“Can’t buy me love,” is the theme for the year.

Students will have the opportunity to collect prize money to enter into drawings.

“We have some really awesome raffles for some friend and date packages.”

From 1 to 2 p.m. there will also be a Dating Safety Seminar for students,” said Holley Goodnight, coordinator of new student programs.

“It also lets people know that we are here and that we do have the support system in place,” Goodnight said. “If they do get in a situation they don’t want to be in or they need help, they have a great support system here in the faculty and staff,” Goodnight said.

Goodnight said the Healthy Relationships Day is to both entertain and enlighten students.

“We want to get the message out there that everyone deserves respect and deserves to be in a good relationship,” Goodnight said.

“This is just a fun way to get that message across.”

From 7 to 11 p.m. on Feb. 16 students are encouraged to come to Southern’s first retro dance .

“We heard a lot of people wanted a dance of some sort so we decided to go with a retro dance I’d seen,” Maloukis said.

Maloukis said a retro video disc jockey is being brought in for entertainment.

Activities such as Dance-Dance Revolution, a costume contest, with students dressing up in their favorite decade clothing and also a decade dance contest will be among the options available for students attending the event.

“I wouldn’t view it as a retro dance, but more of a retro party,” Maloukis said.

“There will be a lot of other activities as well.”

Goodnight said the Campus Activities Board and Student Support are constantly looking for new activities to get the students involved in.

“We have a special events committee that get together and try to come up with new ideas that are catchy,” she said.

“We don’t want to keep doing the same things over and over.”

Students should contact the CAB Office for more information on upcoming activities.