Party transgresses time

Derick White, senior secondary education major; Tessa Woods, senior biology major; and Cherie White, freshman undecided major, hold arms during a rendition of Cotton-Eyed Joe.

Kristin Wilfing

Time was interrupted for four hours Feb. 16.

Dancing Through the Decades began at 7 p.m. with several people signed up. The event, sponsored by the Campus Activities Board, was a celebration of the dances, music and videos from the last three decades.

“They did a great job,” said Amanda Littlefield, sophomore elementary education major. “They did more than what I thought.”

Littlefield said she wished the turnout could have been greater, but enjoyed the party just the same.

Tori Maloukis, director of student activities, said though the crowd may have been less than what CAB wanted, there were around 100 students attended the event.

She said this was a good amount of students for a Thursday night event.

“Everyone whom we talked to who went said they had an outstanding time,” Maloukis said.

The party featured Dance-Dance Revolution, a disc jockey, dancing screen, Rubik’s Cubes and contests. Among the contests were a costume contest for best-dressed representative of the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s.

There was also a break-dancing contest.

Matt Nicholson, junior marketing major, took a chance at the break-dancing contest, but lost to Hector Amaya, CAB historian. The winner was chosen from the roar of the crowd.

Nicholson said he was just happy to come to the event.

“I’m in student activities all the time trying to find out about different events on campus,” he said. “There’s more than I expected here.”

Nicholson said he would like to see more people come to the events.

“It’s a nice event for people to get together and out of their rooms and their houses,” he said. “They do this (events) for a reason. They want people to stay in college.”

During the night, the disc jockeys played music ranging from the Village People and Janet Jackson to Usher.

Derick White, CAB secretary, said the night had been planned for a few months.

“It’s an event we started last semester,” he said. “We didn’t get it down pat until right before Christmas.”

He said CAB first learned about the idea through an e-mail from the DJs’ promoter. The idea grew from there.

“It’s a good event,” White said. “It brings back a lot of memories for a lot of people.”

Maloukis said the disc jockeys were taking requests during the evening and several people requested newer songs.

She said it gave a balance to the music, but some people thought the music should have been more retro.

“I expected it to be more 70s and 80s, but it gravitated more toward the 90s,” said Jason Morse, freshman finance and economics major.

Morse said the event was fun and attracted him from across campus.

“There’s very loud music,” he said. “I saw the lights even walking down from the Student Life Center.”

The event took place in the Connor Ballroom, which provided enough room for snacks, dancing and several tables.

For more information on upcoming events, call the student activities office at 625-9320.