Southern’s News Briefs

Epsilon Chi awards several students at Career Development Conference

Missouri Southern Epsilon Chi awarded several students at the State Career Development Conference.

Jeff Bates and Jared Graham took spots as two of the top-five finishers in the Business Test section.

Bates also grabbed third place in Restaurant and Food Services Marketing.

J.P. West received fifth place in Retail Management. Kristenee Wofford placed fifth in Hospitality Marketing/Management.

Michael Lang and Wofford placed second in Sports and Entertainment Marketing.

Kalan Hubbard and Sam Sturgis came in third in Business Ethics.

Graham and Sheryl Hunter came in second in Business-to-Business Marketing. In Human Resources Management Decision Making, Hubbard received first place, and Sturgis came in third.

Three-man teams may begin signing up

for Southern Olympic competitions

The Southern Olympics is looking for teams to join in several competitions. The teams must be made up of three members and all members must compete in all events.

All members will receive a free T-shirt.

The competitions include team flag, cycling relays, curling/shuffle board, figure skating, bobsledding, biathlon relay, gymnastics/giant twister, puzzle, bean bag toss and moon pie eating.

All this will take place at 8 p.m. March 14 in Leggett & Platt Athletic Center.

Free food will be available, and fans and spectators are welcome to attend.

The first 100 fans will receive a free T-shirt. Faculty and staff will compete against students.

The games are limited to the first 50 teams, and all teams must sign up by March 10 in the Student Support Center.

Art department announces exhibitions sponsored by Art League members

The art department is presenting three concurrent art exhibitions sponsored by the Art League from April 2 to April 21.

The first show is titled Midwest College Salon. This show will be presented in the Spiva Gallery and is open to any artist currently enrolled as a graduate, undergraduate or junior college student. This is an annual regional and invitational exhibition.

David Mohallatee, printmaker from Eastern Kentucky University, will select works for the show and select the cash award winners.

The second exhibition is titled Technology and the Globe. This is a collaborative drawing by Art League members.

Two panels of 5 feet by 18 feet and 5 feet by 30 feet will be installed in Matthews Hall. Printing is donated by Eccentrix.

The third exhibition is titled Fabric Installation. This is a sculptural campus installation inspired by the works of Christo and Jean-Claude.

The project is designed and directed by Whitney Fair.

For more information, contact Burt Bucher at [email protected], Josie Mai at [email protected] or Nick Kyle at [email protected].

Southern Symphony Orchestra brings Evening of Romantic Dances to Taylor

The Southern Symphony Orchestra will present an Evening of Romantic Dances at 7:30 p.m. March 14 in Taylor Auditorium.

Dr. Kexi Liu will conduct the orchestra as it performs The Moldau.

The Neosho High School Orchestra will also perform as part of the evening.

Other works will include those of Strauss, Brahms and Tchaikovsky.

Admission is free.

For more information on the performance or the orchestra, contact Liu at 624-8795.

Firearms safety class offers lessons in conceal, carry permit requirements

The next firearms safety class has been scheduled in Anderson Justice Center.

The class meets the requirements for the Missouri Conceal and Carry permit statute.

The classes have been approved for Barton, Jasper, Lawrence, McDonald and Newton County residents. The course will provide participants with a knowledge of handgun safety, legal requirements in the use of force, cleaning firearms and the legal aspects of owning firearms.

The class begins at 8 a.m. March 18 in Anderson Justice Center Room 125.

The cost of the course is $95 and participants must bring their own firearms, eye protection and 50 rounds of ammunition.

There is an additional charge of $25 for not bringing these items. These are pre-paid fees.

For more information and to pre pay, contact Brenda Norman at 625-9328 or e-mail her at [email protected].

Faculty recital features alumni, current student, guest performers

A faculty jazz recital will feature Dr. Phillip Wise, director of jazz studies.

The recital will include a piece by Jerome Kern and several other selections.

Three alumni members will be included in the performance. Trevor Headrick, Jerry Schultz and Jennifer Smith will perform alongside Wise.

Posonaum Palooza, a trombone quartet, will also play a few pieces throughout the evening.

The recital will take place at 7:30 p.m. March 16 in Webster Hall auditorium.

Robert Ensor, professor of music at Crowder College, will perform on the piano.

Two current students will perform as well. Damon Graue will play drums and Robert Terry will play bass.

College Republicans sponsor FairTax with free pizza lunch available

Students have the opportunity to learn about FairTax at 12:15 p.m. Thursday in the Billingsly Student Center Room 311.

Pizza will be available on a first-come-first-serve basis. The event is sponsored and hosted by the College Republicans.

For more information contact [email protected].