New season brings new faces to football’s spring training

There is a new marshal in town. He goes by Bart Tatum, and he is the new Missouri Southern head football coach.

On Dec. 13, 2005, Tatum, the former offensive coordinator at Northwest Missouri State University, was named head coach by Sallie Beard, Southern athletic director.

Tatum wasted no time hitting the recruiting trail, and the recruits were named Feb. 1. There were 32 in all – Eight Division III or junior college transfers, one Division I transfer and 23 high school athletes.

“One place that we are not deep is wide receiver,” Tatum said.

Because of this, Lions fans can expect to see a hearty dose of four of those recruits early – Brandon McLaurin, Jenks, Okla.; Isaac Norman, Jenks, Okla.; Jonathan Terry, Carthage; and Martwain Willis, Sand Springs, Okla.

McLaurin and Norman were teammates at Jenks High School. Norman was also a track star in high school, posting a 10.6-second 100-meter dash, finishing eighth at the state meet.

McLaurin was selected to play in the Oklahoma High School All-Star Game.

Terry was a two time All-State selection at wide receiver from Carthage High School. Willis, a product of Sand Springs High School, was an all-conference selection and set three school receiving records as a senior.

The offensive line offers the fewest problems for the Lions’ roster.

“On any year, whether or not you have a good offensive line like we do, you want to sign offensive linemen, but we only signed two,” Tatum said.

Montereo Baker, a junior from East Central Community College in Columbus, Miss. and Matt Barker, Muskogee, Okla., are the two Tatum signed.

“We only signed two linemen because we didn’t want to sign them just to sign them, we wanted quality guys who could step in and be effective,” Tatum said.

Another recruit fans will see early and one they should get to know well is Cebron Finley. Finley is a D-I transfer from Missouri State University. Finley is a 6’0, 238-pound linebacker. He will fill the gap at linebacker left by Atiba Bradley.

“‘C.C.’ is in my weight lifting group – he is a cool guy,” said Trevor Thompson, sophomore defensive end.

Tatum and his staff are wasting no time making sure the team will be ready to compete for a conference championship in the fall.