Symphony orchestra performs night of romantic music

Dr. Kexi Liu - Associate Professor of Music

Dr. Kexi Liu – Associate Professor of Music

In Taylor Auditorium, Missouri Southern’s symphony orchestra, directed by Dr. Kexi Liu, associate professor of music, will perform a concert at 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday.

Members of the community and students will perform in the concert. This is the Second concert directed by Liu and another concert is planned for this May.

“It’s called ‘An Evening of Romantic Dances,'” Liu said. “The whole program is in the form of a suite.”

The first piece performed will be the Moldau by Bedrich Smetana.

“[It is] a very nice piece and three polkas by Strauss,” Liu said.

The Southern orchestra will not perform alone.

“We invited Neosho High School Orchestra to perform two small pieces – a Scottish Folksong by Johanns Brahms and Contrasts in E minor by Francis L. Feese,” Liu said. “And, we have two waltzes – a valse from Eugene Omegin by Peter Tchaikovsky and a valse from the Sleeping Beauty also by Tchaikovsky.”

He said the audience should enjoy the performance.

“It’s going to be a very interesting program,” Liu said. “It has an international flavor and all dances. High spirit, I would like to say.”

The concert is not the only thing slated for the night.

“After the concert, there will be a reception underwritten by St. John’s Regional Medical Center,” Liu said. “Everyone can come to the reception. I want to invite the whole community to come. This orchestra is relatively new.”

Students gain more from the concert than credit.

“The orchestra provides opportunities for music major students and students of other majors who also interested in music to perform,” Liu said. “The orchestra program helps the music department to recruit students. The orchestra provides services to the University and community by performing concerts.”

Liu said the orchestra is fundamental to the department.

“Without the orchestra the music program won’t be complete,” he said.

Two violinists, one auditing the class said they enjoyed performing in the concert for various reasons.

“I have always loved performing in an ensemble, and I really love playing in the symphony because I have a scholarship and it pays for college,” said Issac Murphy, freshman pre-med major and violin student.

“The music is really enjoyable and I love classical music,” said Lauren Greenlee, Joplin. “It’s more popular music, like Sleeping Beauty suite, waltzes and a polka – just some really fun pieces.”

Greenlee is auditing the symphony class and doesn’t consider herself a student. She plays second principal violin.

For more information, contact Liu at 625-9681.