Band impresses audience with its freeform style

Jeff Thomas, senior piano studies major, rags out a solo during the Marhc 8 Missouri Southern Jazz Septet performance in Webster Hall auditorium.

With a swinging beat, the Missouri Southern Septet, renamed the Wednesday Combo, started off a night of jazz March 7 in Webster Hall auditorium.

“It was excellent,” said Scott Green, Joplin. “The trumpet player’s performance was excellent. His performance is tight.”

The Septet played the first half hour with several songs in its free form style.

“It’s our group’s overall coming together very well, and that always helps us perform,” said Kyle Babbitt, tenor sax.

Babbitt said the group performed more modern jazz than classical jazz pieces, because this allowed for more freedom.

“It’s kind of like communicating with each other like a conversation,” he said.

The Crowder Jazz Orchestra performed second with a larger group of 17 members.

Dr. Todd Hastings, associate professor of trumpet at Pittsburg State University, directs the orchestra.

Hastings helped bring the group together after talking to Bob Ensor, piano instructor at Crowder, who was developing a big band group.

“I wanted to start a community band,” Hastings said. “This is about as good of a band as in big cities. It’s not just good for this area.”

Hastings said the group decided to play at Southern after two members, Dr. Philip Wise, director of jazz studies, and Jeffery Macomber, assistant professor of low brass, suggested the idea.

“We’re always looking for new venues,” Hastings said. “We’re really community oriented.”

Hastings said it is not hard to direct the larger group because the members are experienced in their individual instruments.

“They run like an engine,” Hastings said.

Ensor said the group provides something the community cannot find elsewhere.

“There aren’t bands like this for people who have graduated,” he said. “Once you graduate from college, what are you going to do?”

The members come together every Wednesday on a volunteer basis to practice.

Wise plays in both the Septet and the Crowder band. He said there are several differences between the groups which lend to the ears on both sides of the audience.

“In a septet, you’re going to be soloing much more,” Wise said. “In a big band, there are fewer solos.”

He said the musicians are more exposed in a smaller group and this means the audience can focus on the individuals more.

He said the bands performed well during the evening.

“I’m pleased that something like this could happen on campus,” Wise said. “It’s especially beneficial to the audience to see that jazz musicians can come together as a collective.”

He said the Septet members did a good job at working together.

“That’s a pretty experienced group,” Wise said. “It’s a group you don’t have to direct on stage.”

Josh Mullen, Joplin, said the performances were well done.

“It was an amazing performance,” he said. “If you don’t take the opportunity to hear good music, you’re stupid.”

Pat and Jerry Waltrip, Pittsburg, said the student body should appreciate the music as it is performed.

“We go everywhere the music is,” Jerry said. “We are just appreciative of what they make available.”

For more information about upcoming shows call Wise at 625-9636.