Track and Field prepares for MIAA Championships

The Lion men and women track and field teams are sending 11 individuals to the NCAA Division II Championships on Friday and Saturday, March 8 and 9, at Pittsburg State University in Pittsburg, Kansas.

Eight of the 11 athletes participating are from the women’s team, which moved up to four in the latest United States Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association poll. They were in ninth place prior to their performance at the MIAA Championships. This is the highest ranking in Lions team in program history.

Sophomore Jasmine Deckard qualified for two events in both the 60m and 200m dashes. Freshman Lauren Sutherland, sophomore Elena Bisotto and sophomore Samantha Petry all qualified for the pole vault.

Freshman Claire Luallen qualified for the pentathlon, while senior Morgan Smith qualified for the 60m hurdles.

Junior Desirea Buerge and junior Payton Roberts both qualified for the shot put.

The men had three athletes qualify for the NCAA Championship meet.

Junior Brendan Watkins qualified for the long jump and triple jump, while sophomore Adrian Broadus qualified for the triple jump. Freshman Gideon Kimutai rounds out the team by qualifying for the 5k.

Complete live results of the meet may be found online on Southern’s athletics page during and after the meet.