Board discusses issues with renovations

Dr. Julio León

Dr. Julio León

After estimating more than a $2.5 million cost, the Board of Governors went into a back-and-forth discussion of the home of Missouri Southern football April 21.

Kyle Denham of Patterson, Latimer, Jones, Brannon, Denham, Inc. presented plans to renovate Hughes stadium and the Mansion.

In presenting basic plans of the stadium, the lockers rooms are inadequate, he said.

“[There’s] really not a lot of room,” Denham said.

He said the bleachers have problems as well.

“Spacing on the rows are very tight,” Denham said.

As far as the bleachers on the east side, they were never completed. Denham said he suggested they be finished. Adding press boxes or skyboxes to the east side were also in the discussions.

The facade on the front of the stadium does not tie into the rest of the venue, Denham said.

“We could definitely change the look,” he said.

He said there is plenty of distance between the track and the bleachers on the west side.

“There is almost 30 feet,” Denham said.

His idea was to extend the bleachers on the west side to the 10-yard line and used stadium seating.

Denham said during his presentation the press boxes do not function well.

He also said a two-story building could be placed on the north side to accommodate space for locker rooms. Also in talks, Denham talked about adding in an elevator and a spirit store to the stadium.

Denham said these renovations would create a more modern facility.

Problems arose during the presentation. The first row of seats when moving the bleachers closer to the track posed problems.

Rod Anderson, Board member, said there would be complaints about seeing the game from the first row.

Visibility was also a concern of the Board. The sun glare is a problem.

“There are ways of combating that,” Anderson said.

Sallie Beard, athletics director, said the football games are at 6 p.m. and that is the worst time for the sun.

“That creates problems with communicating statistics,” Beard said.

Beard said she was against the press boxes on the east side and elevation is a concern.

Beard said this was the first opportunity she has had to see the drawings.

“There are some questions to be asked,” she said.

Denham said the cost of tearing the stadium down and building a new one would be “quite high.”

He said to have bleachers on the east side would cost $380,000. To have stadium seats on the west side would cost $1.1 million. To widen the skyboxes and press boxes costs $550,000. Press boxes or skyboxes on the east side would cost $450,000.

University President Julio León said this project would have to be done in phases.

“The field house is the greatest priority,” León said. “You can make this beautiful.”

Dr. Terri Agee, vice president for business affairs, said there is plenty more discussion that must take place.

Jane Wyman, Board member, said this is the beginning, but it is exciting.

Dwight Douglas, Board member, said the Board is still looking at options, and they need to receive some input from the stadium renovations committee.

“It’s all part of planning for the future,” Douglas said.

The stadium was not the only plan Denham was working with.

As far as the Mansion renovations, Denham said the plans are complete.

“We are coming up on an excellent time to tackle some of this work,” Denham said.

A new patio and outdoor fireplace will be added to the Mansion.

“We’ve also incorporated the lantern,” he said.

Denham said there are some major cracks due to moisture. He also said they plan on adding new stucco and isolate the cracks.

“All of the windows will be replaced as well,” he said. “The old windows have leaked in some places.”

There are also cracks in the ceramic tiles in one of the bathrooms.

“All the plumbing and electric will be replaced,” Denham said.

During the presentation, he also said there are problems with the gutters.

“Most of them are in need of repair,” he said.

Denham said the clay tiles on the roof need to be repaired. He said the manufacture of the tile is still in business and they would be able to buy tiles similar to the originals.

“The tile edging is missing in some places,” he said.

He said the statues around the Mansion can be “salvageable.”

The hardwood floors do not need to be replaced; they need to be refinished.

“The hardwood floors are in good shape,” Denham said.

In one of the rooms, the bookshelf will be removed and French doors will be installed, tying the living room to the fountain room.

Denham said the indoor ramps in the Mansion do not meet the American Disability Association requirements.

“It’s very hard to make it ADA handicap accessible,” he said.

He said the indoor ramps will be moved elsewhere to accommodate.

Agee said $886,000 has been pledged for the project. She said the Southern Foundation and Alumni Association have been successful in this project.

“Kudos to all [for] the hard work,” she said.

This project is estimated to cost $1.2 million.

Other business discussed at the Board meeting:

• Eric Norris, Student Senate president, said it has been a good year for Senate.

“We got a good group of senators next year,” he said.

Student Senate purchased three benches, and an update was given on the handicap accessible parking.

Norris said they are discussing funding for another sand volleyball court near the residence halls. He said this one will face north to south because of a problem with the sun. The existing volleyball courts run west to east.

Norris also said incoming freshmen will be receiving bumper stickers in their Fresh Start packets.

“Thanks you for serving on our Board this year,” said Elizabeth Deffenbaugh, Board president.

• León said the health sciences building is still in the three versions of the legislation bills.

“It appears our facility will be safe,” he said.

• Dr. Richard McCallum, vice president for academic affairs, said the dental hygiene graduate program with the University of Missouri-Kansas City has been approved by the Coordinating Board for Higher Education.

He said the graduate program with Northwest Missouri State University is going well. There will be six graduates and five of them will be walking.

“We are very, very excited,” McCallum said.

The next Board meeting is set for 6 p.m. May 11 on the third-floor of the Billingsly Student Center.