Christiansen: ‘Feeling more excitement’

Musical Clown, a lithograph by Marc Chagall from 1945 is one of many famous pieces hanging at Spiva Art Gallery. Currently Spiva is displaying a printmaking exhibit from the French Avant-Garde. The exhibit will run from Aug. 28 through Sept. 22.

Kristin Wilfing

‘Musical Clown,’ a lithograph by Marc Chagall from 1945 is one of many famous pieces hanging at Spiva Art Gallery. Currently Spiva is displaying a printmaking exhibit from the French Avant-Garde. The exhibit will run from Aug. 28 through Sept. 22.

Campus Craze, All-Campus Picnic, Casino Night and Fall Forward are but a few activities which took place during this fall’s Welcome Week.

Ever wonder which organization helps to plan these events?

The answer lies within in the Student Activities Office in Billingsly Student Center.

The organization, Missouri Southern’s Campus Activities Board, develops activities for students each semester.

“We’re the hub for everybody (on campus)–the central connection to anything that’s going on,” said Hector Amaya, CAB president.

The organization met on Wednesday, Aug. 30, with 23 students in attendance at the standing-room only meeting.

“I’m feeling a lot more excitement from the students this year,” said Tori Christiansen, director of student activities. “We’re just hoping that (energy) goes through the whole semester.”

During the meeting, students began to develop an abundance of suggestions and feedback concerning Welcome Week activities.

Cynthia Patrick, junior public relations major, suggested Welcome Week be moved back into the spring.

David Reed, sophomore political science major, was pleased with an event that took place in the last two weeks.

“Last year it totally sucked, but this year’s Casino Night was awesome,” Reed said.

In addition to Amaya, CAB officers include Carolyn White, vice president; Danielle Dunn, secretary; and Whitney Hornaday, as public relations coordinator.

Amaya said he was grateful for the turnout at the first meeting. He said CAB works hard to plan events and to represent the student body.

“We look for people who are dedicated,” Amaya said. “We look for people who go out of the way to help us out.”

Christiansen agreed.

“We want everyone to come out and support everybody,” she said. “Not just CAB, but also the athletic teams and other organizations as well.”

For more information, or to find out about upcoming events, students may call the CAB hotline at 625-4477 or view the online calendar found on the university website.

Additionally, Christiansen is in the process of setting up a CAB Myspace account to help promote future activities.