MSSU golf in full swing, preparing for spring season

Golf season is starting back up after taking their winter break.

The last time the Lions played golf competitively was in October when the women played in the Park University Fall Classic and placed third overall. In that match, the team was led by Kylie Carnes who tied for sixth overall shooting a 169.

This is the first season for women’s golf. In the first semester they placed in the top five once.  With their second recruiting class, the team may improve in the second half of the season.

Their recruiting class consisted of five golfers, of which four will be with the team next fall.

The four golfers joining the Lions in the fall are Hannah Torres from Piedmont High School in Piedmont, Oklahoma; Kristin Matlock from Muldrow High School, Muldrow, Oklahoma; Kenzie Kirkhart from Hilldale High School, Muskogee, Oklahoma; and McKayla Hussey from Berryville High School, Berryville, Arkansas.

Junior Taylor Boyett, a transfer from Austin Community College in Dale, Texas, is joining the team this spring.

The men last played in the Lincoln Invitational in Jefferson City, Missouri where they tied for ninth overall behind the performance of senior Tristian Haltom a total of shot of 151.

Head Coach Mike Wheeler said Haltom has a chance to finish at all conference if he keeps up his level of play. In the fall, the men’s golf team finished in the top 10 four times. They have a chance to play in the MIAA Championships in April.

“The men really have a shot in playing in the tournament this year,” Wheeler said. “But they are really going to have to put it together if they want to make it in there.”

The men added eight new golfers to the team, six of whom will start in the fall.

Those players include Colby Cox from Hilldale High School, Muskogee; Justun Coyle from Poteau High School, Poteau, Oklahoma; Fletcher McSpadden from Fayetteville High School, Fayetteville, Arkansas; Jonathan Sanchez from Bentonville High School, Bentonville, Arkansas; and Daniel Davis from Mena High School, Mena, Arkansas.

The two new Lions joining the team for spring golf are Brice Terry a national tournament qualifier, and Alec Dominic, both transfers from Seminole State, in Seminole, Oklahoma. Dominic is a three-time state medalist in high school for Sallisaw High School in Sallisaw, Oklahoma.

“This is the best recruiting class we have ever recruited” said Wheeler.

The Lions will begin spring golf with the men traveling to the Arkansas Collegiate, March 11 and 12, at Mystic Creek Golf course in El Dorado, Arkansas

The women will travel to the Hillcat Classic March 18 and 19, at the Bailey’s Ranch golf course in Owasso, Oklahoma.