Language lab receives new technology

Stephanie Cope, sophomore studio art major, uses one of the 26 new computers installed over the summer in the International Language Resource Center during a Spanish 102 class Sept. 20.

Traditionally 10-year anniversaries are marked with a present derived of tin. For the International Language Resource Center, their tin came encased in hard plastic shells.

Over the course of the summer, the lab got a new dose of modern technology, receiving an updated look to begin the fall semester.

“We are replacing the old audio-video with a new computer-based capacity due to the fact teaching is mostly done on digital format now,” said Dr. Tatiana Karmanova, director of the ILRC.

The lab is equipped with 26 computers, including one specifically for physically disabled students.

Dr. Pedro Talavera-Ibarra, head of the department of foreign languages, said the renovations were necessary.

“We would bring our students into the lab and they didn’t know what a cassette tape was,” he said.

Not having up-to-date technology was a hindrance for both students and instructors alike.

“A lot of the media (VHS Tapes, LPs) we were using are obsolete,” Talavera said. “Thankfully the board understood that need for the upgrade.”

Since many of the foreign language textbooks have been updated, the requirements from the textbook manufacturers would not have been met in the lab’s former state.

“All the textbooks have digital components, with CDs, DVDs, Web sites, etc,” Karmanova said. “We record and send those files, so it’s a huge improvement.”

With the upgraded technology come the problems with software and equipment, which Talavera said is to be expected.

“It’s a learning process,” he said. “We hope to work out the problems this semester so we can maximize the use of the lab next semester.”

In addition to the foreign language computer lab, other services are offered by the ILRC.

Placement tests for some languages, such as Spanish, are offered to help students determine what level the comprehension of their preferred foreign language.

“One test can tell a student if they are able to start in an upper-level language class, rather than at the beginning,” Karmanova said.

The lab also offers free tutors for any foreign language student. Besides Spanish, tutors are available for Chinese, German, French, Japanese and Russian.