Campus honors victims of 9/11

(Right) In the foreground are the flags that were placed by the Missouri Southern College Democrats in honor of soldiers who have died in Iraq and Afghanistan since Sept. 11. In the background is the Flag of Freedom Plaza in Missouri Southerns oval.

Kristin Wilfing

(Right) In the foreground are the flags that were placed by the Missouri Southern College Democrats in honor of soldiers who have died in Iraq and Afghanistan since Sept. 11. In the background is the Flag of Freedom Plaza in Missouri Southern’s oval.

It’s been five years since the terrorist attacks on 9/11 and yet the images from that day are still as fresh in anyone’s minds as this morning’s news.

Which is why Missouri Southern is holding a commemoration ceremony in memory of those who died on that day at noon on Monday at the Flag of Freedom Plaza.

Area fire fighters, military personnel, police departments and emergency response teams will all be present to be recognized for their service to the community.

Also attending the ceremony will be the Joplin High School Junior ROTC, who will post the colors. Followed by the Missouri Southern Concert Chorale singing the “Star Spangled Banner,” and “For This We Stand.”

Captain John Rote, vetran of Iraq and Company commander for Headquarters, Headquarters Company (HHC), 203rd Engineer Battalion, Missouri Army National Guard will also give a keynote speech at the campus oval by the Flag of Freedom Plaza.

The Flag of Freedom Plaza was donated to Southern on the first anniversary of Sept. 11 by an annonymous source in memory of the tragic events of 9/11.

Area fire fighters will have a Firefighter’s Bell Ceremony directed by Battalion Chief Howard Reding of the Joplin Fire Department.

There will also be a military honors team presentation held, along with a 21 gun salute.

Also in memory of Sept. 11 CNN will have an internet replay of the coverage of the attacks. These will be shown in the Lions’ Den on the second floor of the Billingsly Student Center starting at 7:30 a.m.

Flight 93 will also be shown in the Lions’s Den at different times throughout the day.

Rod Surber, Director of Public Information, said he expects a large crowd on Monday for the ceremony. And he hopes several students will come out and “Honor the victims and heroes of that day, along with the military personnel who have served and are currently serving in Iraq.”

There will also be a chance for those in attendance to receive a carnation to lay on the fire fighters bunker gear memorial at the base of the pole.