Race for pennies creates ‘fun and cute’ fund raiser

It is off to the races as 10 faculty members compete for the title of speediest professor.

Ashley Hendrix, senior public relations major, said the idea for the speediest professor came from the decision to have a race in the Oval during coronation.

“I just wanted to have something fun and cute,” she said.

Hendrix said the speediest professor is a penny a vote-one penny equals one vote.

She said whichever male and female faculty members win the most votes must wear a costume to their classes all day Oct. 13. At noon Oct. 13 in the Oval, the two professors race “Flintstone style” at the Homecoming picnic.

Hendrix said they wanted to find professors who had tight bonds with the students.

“We wanted to find people who would be willing to participate,” she said.

Students, faculty, alumni and staff place their votes in jars in the Billingsly Student Center from Monday to Thursday.

The male and female faculty members with the most money will be announced 1 p.m. Thursday.

Hendrix thinks this event will be successful.

“I think it will be one of the better years,” she said. “(It) involves the whole student body.”

Faculty members participating in the speediest professor contest are Dr. Laura Adkins, assistant professor of mathematics; Dr. AmyKay Cole, assistant professor of psychology; Dr. Glen Coltharp, dean of the school of education; Dr. Mark Comstock, professor of accounting; Dr. Conrad Gubera, professor of sociology; Brenda Kilby, assistant professor of communication; Dr. Jim Lile, assistant professor of theatre; Leslie Parker, instructor of foreign languages; Dr. Bart Tatum, instructor of kinesiology and head football coach; and Dr. Arthur Saltzman, professor of English and philosophy.