Friends, family remember life of father, student

James Kesinger passed away Nov. 1 after being attacked by an advanced and quick-moving form of liver cancer. Kesinger was a general studies major.

Special to The Chart

James Kesinger, a father, friend and Missouri Southern student, passed away Nov. 1, after being attacked by a very advanced and quick-moving form of liver cancer.

At 50 years of age, Kesinger came back to school looking to change his life. He knew he wanted to study art, and persued a graphic arts degree, having done art for many years previously. However, after realizing his true calling was writing and illustrating books, he switched to a bachelor of general studies degree to tailor his studies to that goal.

Professors and friends use many adjectives to describe Kesinger, such as quiet, patient, family-oriented, introspective, serious, methodical and insightful. However, a good friend and classmate of Kesinger’s, Alyson Deboutez, senior studio art major, says her favorite of Kesinger’s traits was his honesty.

“Jim doesn’t hold anything back form anyone,” she said, “even if it offends.”

Deboutez met Kesinger when they were both freshmen in a color and design theory class. Deboutez says that Kesinger acted like a father figure to her and says that if it wasn’t for Kesinger, she would not still be in college today.

Joy Dworkin, professor of English, met Kesinger in a creative writing class she taught, in his last semester. She says that Kesinger took being in school very seriously.

“It’s nice to have mature people in class.” she said, “You could feel that he had lots of life experience.”

Dworkin said that while Kesinger was a quiet person he was always present and engaged in class. He began missing a class here and there, and at a certain point he just didn’t return. She knew he was not a student to just quit coming to school but did not find out what happened to Kesinger until a few weeks later.

In a rare occurrence, Dworkin happened to be working on a political campaign with Kesinger’s daughter-in-law, Nicole, a Joplin resident. During Kesinger’s final days Nicole was one of his primary caregivers. She expressed to Dworkin that her father-in-law had rapidly gone downhill only two weeks after being diagnosed with cancer. Dworkin was shocked when she realized that Kesinger, her missing student, was Nicole’s father-in-law.

Kesinger was 54 years old when he passed away. He was preceded in death by a daughter, Rea Nicole Kesinger, who passed away on March 11, 1999. He also had a son, Chris, daughter-in-law Nicole and two grandchildren, Cody and Kyli.

Chris and Nicole Kesinger are extremely grateful for everyone on and off campus that attended Kesinger’s funeral Nov. 5, sent many cards, flower and food and generally helped the family in many other ways.

Nick Kyle, associate professor of art and head of the art department, was Kesinger’s adviser and friend. He summed it up when he said, “He will be missed!”

Estrangement and Reconciliation

James Kesinger

Man you’re lazy. Your life’s a wreck

You sittin’ in your chair.

You say you’re sick, and hurtin’ bad

And no one seems to care.

Are you sick or are you tryin’

To avoid promises made?

Five years from now and you’ll be flyin’.

Who are you tryin’ to psersuade?

So here you sit in angry chair

Stare at dirty floor.

You ain’t dead, get off your ass

I can’t wait no more.

Lazy, yeah I guess you’re right

That’s always been my way.

I’ve always lived within the moment

just like the Buddha say.

Didn’t think that I’d get old

with sickness overtaken,

though I’d die when I was young,

so bad was I mistaken.

But life goes on, it’s panic time.

The wolf is at the door.

One more chance is all I’ve got,

to be more than before.