McCaskill campaign hits Joplin

Tera Horine (left), senior at Joplin High School, visits with Democratic Senate candidate Claire McCaskill during a campaign stop Nov. 1 at the Jasper County Democratic Headquarters.

Hobie Brown

There are Democrats in Jasper County; be they in diapers, with walkers, or wearing Missouri Southern sweatshirts.

Claire McCaskill, Democratic challenger for the U.S. Senate, visited Joplin Wednesday night on a final campaign tour. She was greeted by hundreds of supporters packed into the small space serving as the Jasper County Democratic Headquarters.

Though Jasper County is considered a Republican stronghold, supporters of McCaskill seemed unfazed and lined the streets with signs prior to the rally.

“This area doesn’t have a really good history of open political discussion,” said Shelly Peavler, junior political science major and president of the College Democrats.

In addition to the College Democrats, other participants included University instructors, elementary school students, business leaders and members of the community.

Peavler, attended the rally shortly after finishing preparations for “The Bush Blackout,” a demonstration scheduled for today. Students and faculty participating in the demonstration will be wearing all black and carrying signs to oppose the president’s policies.

“We’re mourning the loss of 3,000 soldiers, we’re mourning the loss of our civil rights, we’re mourning the loss of our respectability in world politics,” Peavler said.

McCaskill spoke about the importance of keeping the campaign local and being all about Missouri, not Washington D.C.

“The other side is bringing in people from Washington to make phone calls and knock on doors,” McCaskill said. “On our side we have people doing it because they want to see change in Washington.”

McCaskill also addressed health care, tuition for higher education and the importance of college students voting.

“This is about their future,” she said. “People in office are more worried about senior citizens because they vote more. If college students would vote more they would get more attention.”

Southern students like Jake Edwards, junior environmental health major, also see the value in college students bringing their opinions to the polls.

“Its imperative,” he said. “I don’t want anyone to have to go to Iraq like I did.”

McCaskill’s final remarks responded to the president’s visit today.

“I can respect his decision to come here and campaign,” she said. “I think it’s right that President Bush be here for [Talent’s] last days of the campaign.”

Senate elections are Nov. 7. For information on voter registration and polling places please visit http://www.sos.mo.gov/elections/lookup/.