SAA carols to brighten holiday season

Krista Stark (far left), senior communication major; Lorelei Gary, sophomore health science major; Ashley Hendrix, senior public relations major; and Courtney Baker, junior psychology major; sing holiday carols at Spring River Christian Village nursing home Dec. 6. This is the first time the Student Alumni Association has done this.

Celebrating the holidays, the Student Alumni Association planned some projects to help the community and the campus.

The SAA went Dec. 6 to Spring River Christian Village nursing home to sing Christmas carols and hand out candy canes as part of its Christmas service project.

“It was a different feeling,” said Courtney Baker, junior psychology major. “It was nice that the old people (were) joining in.”

Krista Stark, senior communication major and SAA president, said she likes caroling.

“We’ve never done that (the caroling at Spring River) before,” Stark said.

Stark said the people enjoyed watching SAA sing.

“Some of them sang along,” she said. “Some of them kind of moved their heads or kind of danced a little bit in their seats. I think that some of them were more attentive than others. They probably always enjoy it when anybody comes to do something like that for them.”

Stark said SAA would do the caroling again.

“It’s just very rewarding to do something where you can tell you are making someone else’s day better and brighter,” she said.

This was the first time SAA had done the caroling.

“We’ll see if we want to vote to make it an annual event,” Stark said.

While at Spring River, the group visited the lead donor of the Mission Hills Mansion restoration project, Mary Helen Harutun, who lives there, and gave her a special gift.

“I think Mrs. Harutun was very touched that we came and caroled for her,” Stark said, “and brought her a gingerbread tree.”

After caroling, the SAA began construction on its gingerbread house for the annual gingerbread house competition at Southern. Stark said the Alumni Association has been participating for a long time.

“For the past two years, we did kind of different, bigger gingerbread houses,” she said.

Stark said last year they did the house from The Nightmare Before Christmas, and the year before they did a replica of the Mansion.

“It won the gingerbread competition,” she said.

This year, they are planning on doing a “Winter Wonderland” theme.

“We are just going to use the normal kit,” she said. “We’re not going to add on this year.”

Stark said the group is hosting a collection drive in the residence halls. SAA did this event last year, and Stark said the list of items for donation are specific.

SAA will accept clothing, coats, hats, gloves, scarves and blankets, and these items will need to be clean and in good condition. They will also accept small furnishings, stuffed animals and toys in good condition, electronics, non-perishable food and new or unopened toiletries.

Donations from the drive will go to Souls Harbor. The drive will continue until Dec. 15.