Senate spreads holiday cheer, breaks from meeting

Student Senate goes caroling at Autumn Place independent living center for the elderly Dec. 6. Senators attendance at this weeks Senate meeting was optional.

Student Senate goes caroling at Autumn Place independent living center for the elderly Dec. 6. Senators’ attendance at this week’s Senate meeting was optional.

Spreading some Christmas cheer is how Missouri Southern’s Student Senate ushered out the fall semester.

After a ‘disappointing’ week filled with cell phone rings and text messaging during the meeting, Senate decided to take a bit of a break and do some caroling.

John Carr, Senate president, said the meeting was optional. And some senators didn’t show up because of religious reasons, while others didn’t show because of prior commitments.

While not as many senators showed up as in years past, according to Valerie German, Senate vice president, a good time was had by all.

“I was a little disappointed more people didn’t show up,” German said.

But she was still happy to send a season’s greetings to the residents of the Autumn Place independent living center.

In total, there were 10 senators who went caroling to the two different parts of the residence.

There were many thank-yous given during and after the performances. Both the audience and singers even seemed to get a bigger kick out of the parts the senators messed up than the parts they sang correctly.

“They loved it, even though Derick White (Senate adviser) was a little off key, they didn’t care,” Carr said. “I had to correct him but it’s okay, he hasn’t sung in a while.”

The residents even sang along with many of their favorite tunes, which inspired the senators.

“It was great seeing all the people’s faces when we were singing to them. And when they joined in, it was really a great display of Christmas spirit from all,” White said.