DEX offers experience, opportunities

Students looking to succeed in the business world could benefit from membership in Delta Epsilon Chi (DEX).

This campus organization is a college division of Distributive Education Clubs of America (DECA), an international association helping high school and college students prepare for careers in such industries as marketing, management, entrepreneurship, finance, hospitality and sales.

Membership in DEX is open to all students, not just business majors. The club meets every other Tuesday at 12:25 p.m. in Room 322 of Plaster Hall.

It brings in many speakers from local businesses to talk about issues like building a resume, give examples of real-world experiences and offer networking opportunities for students.

Members of DEX also have many opportunities for personal growth and travel through the club. Members participate in local fundraisers, helping them make contacts with businesspeople in the community. These fundraisers also pay for club trips.

Kalan Hubbard, senior business management major and current club president, remembers how he first came into DEX.

Free pizza was being offered at the meeting that day, so he decided to attend.

He was elected club president two semesters later, and his benefits have since moved far above free pizza.

Hubbard recently attended the Collegiate Leadership Academy in New York City, where he, DEX adviser Scott Cragin, associate professor of marketing, and three other individuals heard a lecture by Angela Dayton called “Your Steps Toward Success.” Aside from this opportunity to learn how to choose the best career, the group toured the city, seeing places like Times Square, Central Park, Chinatown, Little Italy, and the New York Stock Exchange.

All with money raised from their local fundraisers.

“[Membership in the club] gives you a lot of confidence going into an interview, and it looks great in the interview,” Hubbard said.

Another useful tool for club members supported by fund raiser money, is attendance at local and national competitions held in the spring at such places as Dallas and Orlando, Fla. Students attending these events participate in real business scenarios, and are graded on how well they react to and handle the challenges.

Cash awards are given to the top competitors. After comparing our chapter of DEX to others in the region, club Vice President Mariya Gavrilova, junior marketing and Spanish major, found more speakers are brought to meetings and more fundraisers are held at Southern.

“I was very proud of what our organization has achieved,” she said.

Currently the club has 36 dues-paying members, which is double last year’s total.

Membership in DEX is $20 for one semester or $30 for the year. On Dec. 5, the club will elect new officers. Students are encouraged to attend and to join.