Selby breaks own record, earns provisional spot in national meet

Lions thrower Jessica Selby earned a spot at the NCAA Division II national meet. She was named MIAA Athlete of the Week for the second straight week.

Hallie Hocker

Lions’ thrower Jessica Selby earned a spot at the NCAA Division II national meet. She was named MIAA Athlete of the Week for the second straight week.

Junior Jessica Selby has done it again.

Breaking her own indoor shot put record Saturday with a monstrous throw of 49-03.00, Selby earned an automatic berth to the national championship.

“That throw is important to me because after that big throw last year, I didn’t know if I could throw it again,” Selby said.

She is currently ranked first in Division II shot put.

Selby said her goal now is to maintain and become consistent the rest of the season in preparation for nationals.

While she was thrilled with her performance, she was more happy to be with her teammates competing last weekend.

“I had so much fun this meet,” Selby said. “Everybody had their season best in either shot or weight throw. It’s like finally all our hard work started paying off.”

Southern placed all five shot putters in the top ten.

Freshman Cortney Vie came in fourth with a throw of 42-04.25. Freshman Emilie Mieseler took sixth with 41-07.75.

Sophomore Jessica Self was seventh (40-10.25) and freshman Erin Steffens was ninth (38-11.00).

“It was amazing,” Mieseler said. “It felt really good to finally hit a good mark.”

The women also placed five throwers in the top ten in the weight throw. Self lead the way with a third place finish of 51-11.25, only a few millimeters away from a provisional.

Selby and Vie in fourth and fifth, respectively, with 51-07.00 and 49-11.00.

“I worked on a few things at practice that torqued it and I threw my best,” Vie said.

Vie PRed in the event.

Ashley Clements competed unattached and took sixth (49-03.75). Junior Amanda Littlefield took placed seventh (49-00.75). Meanwhile, freshman Emilie Mieseler took tenth with 44-05.50.

Selby wasn’t the only Lion to break a school record. Freshman Danielle Oliver broke the 60-M dash record with a finishing time of 7.89.

“I wasn’t expecting it,” Oliver said. “But I worked hard for it so I think I deserve it.”

Head women’s track and field coach Patty Vavra said she was somewhat, but not totally surprised.

“I knew the talent was there, but she hadn’t run the 60-M indoor at any point in time,” Vavra said.

Oliver’s goal now is to break this 60-M record and the indoor triple jump record.

“It’s a good start,” she said. “I just want to build on it.”

In the triple jump event, Oliver took second with a leap of 36-05.75. Freshmen Chanell Lloyd and Jestine Hayes followed in fifth and sixth, respectively, with 35-05.75 and 35-00.50.

Lloyd also took second in the 60-M hurdles with 9.31.

Junior Alison Walker earned a provisional qualifying mark in the 800-M run, which she finished in third with 2:16.83.

Junior Erica Culver took second in the pole vault competition with 11-01.75. Freshman Ciara Lipsey took fifth with 10-02.00.

“It was nice to stay consistent,” Culver said. “It was good to have the home field advantage.”

Senior Sarah Wallace finished the 600-yard run in 1:29.32, good for sixth place.

Wallace then anchored Southern’s 4×400-M team which took fourth place with a time of 4:03.94. She ran with Walker, Oliver and sophomore Stacy Borgard.

In the mile run, freshman Courtney Waltbillig took fifth with a time of 5:20.98. Freshman Kimi Shank took sixth with a time of 5:20.98.

Vavra said she was happy with the results of the meet.

“We showed much more confidence,” she said. “We competed well and our marks reflect that.”

The Lions compete at home Friday and Saturday in the Missouri Southern Radio Shack Invitational.

“With back to back home meets, there is the potential to lose the enthusiasm and excitement which I think created some of the great performances for us,” Vavra said.

However, Vavra looks forward to continued improvement from her athletes and “good support from parents and the college community.”