Students unite for canned food drive

The ladies of Zeta Tau Alpha and Delta Epsilon Chi have got it in the can.

Volunteers from both campus organizations set up a donation box outside Wal-Mart on 15th Street and carried bright posters to collect canned food for the American Red Cross.

“This is our first time to stand outside of Wal-Mart trying to collect cans,” said Tabitha Assel, junior general business major, vice president of Zeta Tau Alpha and Delta Epsilon Chi state representative.

Assel hoped by the end of the project they would double the number of cans collected.

“We have had a few people donate cans, totaling about 25 cans so far, but by the end of the day we hope to have close to 50,” Assel said.

The collected canned food will be donated to the Red Cross to be distributed to those in need of assistance.

“We are not sure where the cans are going, but Delta Epsilon Chi is taking them to the conference coming up to give them to the Red Cross,” said Mariya Gavrilova, junior nursing major.

Aubrey Parrigon, sophomore undecided major, and Marie Kocher, senior communications major, also participated in the project.

Delta Epsilon Chi’s Career Development Conference in the Lake of the Ozarks started yesterday. During the conference, members will participate in entrepreneurship, management, and marketing competitions.

The sisters of Zeta Tau Alpha will be rushing new members starting Feb. 19-21.

For more information on campus Greek life please contact Tori Christiansen at 625-9320.