King Day breakfast ‘awesome’

Students and faculty fill their plates at the Martin Luther King Jr. breakfast buffet before hearing Michelle Ducres motivational speech Feb. 12.

Students and faculty fill their plates at the Martin Luther King Jr. breakfast buffet before hearing Michelle Ducre’s motivational speech Feb. 12.

Like the luncheon, the breakfast in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. had to be rescheduled three times due to inclement weather.

The breakfast was at 7 a.m. Feb. 12, with Dr. Julio León, University president, calling it an event that “must not be cancelled.”

“It means a lot to all of us,” he said. “The life of Martin Luther King will forever be a shining beacon of freedom and liberty that we must never forget.”

John Carr, senior chemistry major, said he attends events like this every year.

“I enjoy it very much,” he said. “I’m glad we have the breakfast, I’m also glad to see the students and faculty here, it shows we have some strong leadership.”

The keynote speaker, Michelle Ducre, executive director of the Community Health Clinic of Joplin, said she was “humbled and honored” to present her thoughts and beliefs to motivate self-improvement in her audiences.

“I didn’t come today to comfort you, I came to afflict you,” she said in her speech. Her presentation affected the audience in a positive light.

“It was awesome,” said Hector Amaya, president of the Campus Activities Board.

Another student attending the breakfast, Amy Throop, senior physical education major, said Ducre’s gift of speaking was powerful.

Throop made it a point to attend, since she is graduating in May. Samantha Victory, senior psychology major, made sure the event fit into her schedule, as well.

“If I learn about it in time, I schedule it in,” she said.

To Kathy Keeper, coordinator of volunteer services for the Community Health Clinic, Ducre’s motivation is an everyday activity and this speech went well.

“I think it was incredible,” Keeper said. “Working with [Ducre] everyday, I get to see her inspire others all the time.”

Dr. Al Cade, department head of teacher education, first met Ducre at a community event and said she is an excellent person.

“If you spend 15 minutes with her, you will walk away feeling much better about yourself and others,” Cade said.

Although the event took place at 7 a.m., Amaya and Josie Mai, assistant professor of art, said they didn’t mind.

“I haven’t woke up this early since I taught high school – I want to be here though,” Mai said.

After Ducre challenged the audience to extend a hand in friendship to those in need, the audience joined together to sing “Lift Every Voice and Sing.” Ducre received many compliments on her presentation, one of which was from Dr. Doris Walters, professor of English and philosophy.

Walters said she wished more people could have heard the speech, but Ducre said this was a good group.

“I hope they spread the message, to classes and their social circles,” she said.

“God sends us forth and that’s what we’re here for, to make this world a better place without fear.”