Fulbright Scholar a ‘wonderful addition’ to faculty

Dr. Adalberto Fischmann - Fulbright Scholar-in-Residence

Dr. Adalberto Fischmann – Fulbright Scholar-in-Residence

Brazil is currently represented by Dr. Adalberto A. Fischmann, Fulbright scholar-in-residence for the school of business, at Missouri Southern.

Fischmann arrived at Southern last August from the University of Sao Paulo and will return home at the end of this spring semester.

“Dr. Fischmann has been a wonderful addition to our faculty,” said Dr. Brad Kleindl, dean of the school of business. “We are very honored to have him with us.”

Fischmann has taken on significant involvement with the campus and other areas of the globe.

“I have many duties,” he said. “I’m still keeping many activities in Brazil and the Tokyo Foundation.”

On top of performing the duties of the Fulbright scholar, like creating a new course and staying involved with campus activities, Fischmann was one of seven selected in the world to evaluate the Joint Initiative Project. Other scholars in this selection are from Germany, the Philippians, India, Japan and Venezuela.

“It is a great honor and has great possibilities,” Fischmann said. “I hope I can give good guidance to them.”

Moving out of his home country hasn’t stopped Fischmann from giving advice to his students. Through an instant message program called Skipe.com, he keeps in touch with six doctoral and two master’s students.

“I can talk to all my people,” he said. “I talk to my secretary in Brazil everyday, and she tells me what’s going on and what needs my attention.”

Fischmann currently teaches three courses for Southern and says sometimes there are obstacles.

“I am enjoying (the courses) quite a lot,” he said. “I know I am enjoying some students, but perhaps some of them are not because my English is awful and I have difficulty finding the right word to communicate precisely and this of course brings a problem, but I think we are doing well, both them and myself.”

As an instructor for the last 40 years at his university, Fischmann says he can definitely tell a difference between Southern’s methods and Sao Paulo.

“My university is mainly a research university, while here at Missouri Southern we are mainly a teaching university; the duties are completely different,” he said. “Quality of teaching is important, if we do bad teaching, but we have excellent research they clap for us, here if we do bad teaching they fire us.”

Even though the methods are different, Fischmann says he enjoys the different pace. The Midwest has provided him with a type of relaxation and time he couldn’t enjoy back home.

“This was an excellent move in terms of change,” he said. “I can ensure that I am oxygenated with new ideas. “

The Fulbright Commission selected Fischmann out of other candidates from Chile, Uruguay and Brazil. With only three days to prepare the paper work, medical reports, proposal and letters of recommendation, he submitted his interest.

“I don’t know why but they selected me,” he said.

However, when he received his invitation to come to Southern, he said no. For Fischmann, the decision to come to the United States was not easy. He thought he couldn’t leave the burden of caring for his 88-year-old mother on his two boys and sister-in-law. However, the family knew better.

“I was so supported, and (the Fulbright Commission) gave me another week,” he said.

When he finally arrived and spent time with Southern, he said he knew this was an excellent decision.

“I think this is the best university in the region,” he said. “I think as far as I’m concerned Missouri Southern has very good achievements, it is a very respected school, and I could test this to the actions of the people. I talked to several people from the community and they were glad I was here with Missouri Southern.”

Fischmann said he was anxious to attend the Fulbright conference in Denver, Col., and the University of West Alabama in the future.

“It’s an excellent program,” he said.