Free language classes offered to Southern and local area

The University’s Foreign Language Resource Center is offering a Free Russian Class that started on Feb. 22 and ends on April 26, 2007.

“We try to offer a free foreign language classes here at least once a semester here at MSSU,” said Dr. Tatiana Karmanova, director of International Language Resource Center, and associate professor of Russian and Spanish.

She said that they not only offer classes here at Southern, but also in the surrounding school districts of Carl Junction, Galena, and Joplin.

“We offer these types of classes because we want to promote the study of foreign languages,” Karmanova said. “It is important to teach foreign languages at an early age.”

The International Language Resource Center has also offered free foreign language classes in Spanish and Japanese.

Karmanova said many students have always been interested in these classes. This year they had to have a seating limit because in the past years the classes have been overcrowded with students.

“In these classes we try to teach students the elementary subjects, such as introducing them to the countries that speak that language, basic conversational skills, numbers, professions, and family,” Karmanova said.

For more information on free foreign language classes tutoring, please contact Karmanova at 625-3140.