Cross Canadian Ragweed Rocks Crowd

The crowd gathers early for the bands two opening acts.

The crowd gathers early for the band’s two opening acts.

Rock, country, rhythm and blues were on display when Cross Canadian Ragweed rolled onto the Missouri Southern campus April 17.

The band shared their style of music with approximately 2,000 people.

“We are a country-influenced rock band,” lead singer Cody Canada said. “We have been influenced by the music of Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson and by bands like The Who.”

The event, sponsored by the Campus Activities Board and Zimmer Radio Group, was held on the Southern Concert Grounds with Matt Stell and the John D. Hale band opening for Ragweed.

Some of the influences of the band were exhibited in its performance, as the Ragweed covered a copy of Tom Petty’s You Don’t Know How It Feels. For some fans, the concert was an experience they won’t soon forget.

“It was awesome,” said Whitney Wardlow, sophomore art education major. “I’d do it again. We should have entertainment like this every semester.”

Her fiancée introduced her to the band’s music.

Cross Canadian Ragweed performed some of its benchmarks from their 13-year career.

“”Wanna Rock and Roll” is a song we play every show,” Canada said. “It’s one of those songs you either play or you get lynched. Again, it’s about making that connection. I have people who tell me “17” is a song they relate to, that it describes them when it’s a song I wrote about myself.”

Although artists usually change their song list during the years, there are a few songs that are Ragweed classics.

“”Alabama” is a song I wrote a long time ago,” Canada said. “It did pretty good before we recorded it. “Number” gets a lot of request. “Lighthouse Keeper” is a concentration rock song. We usually try to play that one early on in the show.”

For 13 years, Cross Canadian Ragweed bassist Jeremy Plato, guitarist Grady Cross, and drummer Randy Ragsdale, have taken the stage to entertain fans the past 11 years as a full-time gig.

“It seems like we’ve been doing it forever,” Canada said. “We’ve got families, babies we are trying to provide for. To be in front of a crowd means purpose. It doesn’t get any better.”

However, the concert was not without incident. During the Hale Band performance a 15-year-old girl collapsed.

“She’s fine,” said Tori Christiansen, director of student activities. “She just overheated.”

There was alcohol present on the concert grounds. However, Ken Kennedy, director of public safety, said it might not be related to the accident.

“It’s hard to tell,” he said.