Professionals share free tips with students

Listening to the Kansas City Royals on radio, or watching NASCAR on TV, you will hear their voices giving you the play-by-play action. Now, Missouri Southern broadcasting majors get to meet and talk to them.

Today, the Missouri Broadcasting Association is hosting a free event in Kansas City that Missouri Southern broadcasting majors will travel to meet and chat with prominent sports broadcasters from NASCAR, Royals Radio Network and Missouri State University Sports.

“Our students will be meeting with prominent people in sports broadcasting,” said Bill Hunt, director of creative services at KGCS.

Students will meet with sports broadcasters such as Bob Davis and Paul Splittorf, from the Royals Sports Television Network and Mike Harbit, a NASCAR track announcer.

Hunt said he hopes when the students sit down and talk to these broadcasters, that they will get the motivation they need to be like these broadcasters someday if they really work hard.

“The Missouri Broadcasting Association is giving these broadcasting major a chance to hang out and talk to these guys one-on-one,” said Judy Stiles, general manager of KGCS. “They may never get a chance to do this ever again.”

Stiles said that they will learn skill and tips from these broadcasters that they can’t learn in the classroom.

When the broadcasting majors get to Kansas City, first they will have sessions where they will get a chance to meet and chat with the speakers. Then the students will have lunch with the sports broadcasters at the Kansas City Royals Crown Club. Finally, that evening students will be invited to be guests that evening as the Kansas City Royals play the Minnesota Twins.

“Hopefully, students will come back with these razor-sharp skills they learn and use them on “Southern Sports Sunday,”” Hunt said.

“Southern Sports Sunday,” which covers Missouri Southern football and men’s and women’s basketball, airs on Sundays on Cable One channel 7, Mediacom channel 77, and over the air on channel 57.