Lions first among Div. II schools at Stampede

Junior Dustin Dixon crosses the finish line at the Southern Stampede. Dixon finished 13th while the team finished second to Division I Arkansas.

Caleb Primm

Last Saturday, the Missouri Southern Cross Country teams hosted the Southern Stampede. The day’s events began with approximately 300 women lined up at the starting line, Southern’s team awaited the 5K race in box 12.

Sophomore runner Kimi Shank was the first Lion across the finish line. She was also third overall with a time of 17:34. The next Lion to finish was junior Kara Eckard, with a time of 18:12. Eckard finished 16th overall in the race. Following her were sophomore runners Courtney Walltbillig and Ashley Bunch.

“It was a great team effort,” said women’s coach Patty Vavra. “There were several girls with personal bests.”

The team continued with combined efforts from seniors Taylor Whitacre, Alison Walker, junior Kari Fritchie, freshman Olga Bulgarova, and redshirt freshman Victoria Kline and finished high in the team standings. They placed second overall right behind the University of Tulsa. The average time per runner was 18:18.

“We packed together very well and pulled each other through,” Vavra said.

“The team is really looking to go to nationals and now we are one step closer than ever before,” Eckard said.

“We’re excited and it is good to know that coach is happy too,” Walker said.

“We’re hungry, but we know everyone else is too,” Walker said.

Following the women’s race was the men’s 8K race. The Southern men filled the space in box 10.

Heading into the meet, Tom Rutledge, Southern’s men’s cross country coach, was confident in his team’s ability.

“They have all the tools they need,” Rutledge said.

Before the race began the women joined the men at the starting line and cheere “MOSO.” Southern fans gathered together and cheered with the teams.

Less than 30 yards into the race approximately 10 runners from different schools tripped in the middle of the pack.

“It’s called the Southern Stampede for a reason,” Rutledge said.

Junior Dustin Dixon was the first Lion across the finish line with a 13th place finish and a time of 24:59. He was followed by runners sophomore Isaac Garcia, seniors Dustin Miller, Ryan Arthur, Kyle Davis, and junior Anthony Reed.

Runners Brennan Benkert and Nick Heberle were missing from the Southern Stampede.

“I pulled our number one and number three runners due to tiny injuries,” Rutledge said. “But when you pull them it makes others step up, and they did. If we stay healthy we will be damn good.”

In the team standings, Southern men placed second, right behind the University of Arkansas, with a combined team run time of 2:06:52. The average time per runner was 25:22.

The team’s goals are regionals, then nationals, which will be held at Southern this year.

“Doctors are right,” Rutledge said. “The body can only take so much. Then the heart kicks in.”

There are no meets this weekend for the cross country teams, but they will both be back in action on Sept. 29.

The men will be in Stillwater, Okla., at the Oklahoma State Jamboree.

The women will be in Chicago, Ill., at the Loyola Lakefront Invitational.