Senate prepares for new changes

Student Senate launched its regular meetings with plans to make some changes on campus this semester.

The meeting was called to order at approximately 5:32 p.m. in the House of Lords Room of the Billingsly Student Center. The minutes were not available at the time of the meeting. Senate Treasurer Mariya Gavrilova, senior marketing and Spanish major, delivered the treasurer’s report to the Senators.

“We have a $1,200 dollar minimum budget this semester,” Gavrilova said.

Senate plans to use its budget this year to bring positive changes to campus.

Senate committees have yet to be drawn up and this was addressed in the meeting. A few committee members have already been assigned and others will be assigned during next week’s Senate session.

Senate President Hector Amaya, senior criminal justice major, moved to appoint a new parliamentarian for the Senate. Adam Hancock, senior political science major, was appointed. The motion passed. Hancock says he knows the rules of order and what it will take to assure the meetings run smoothly.

During the meeting Amaya announced the change of leadership in food service. With change as a theme for the meeting, Amaya urged student senators to evaluate the situation.

“We have a new food service director,” Amaya said. “If you think the food sucks, say it. This is our chance to make a change on campus.”

The Senate meeting was adjourned at approximately 5:45 p.m. and its next meeting will be Wednesday, Sept. 26 in the House of Lords, Room of the Billingsly Student Center.