Senate starts year with plans, picnic

David Reed, vice president of Student Senate, discusses plans for the year with other Senate members.

Caleb Primm

As the 2007-2008 academic school year gets underway, student organizations are beginning to gather for their first meetings of the year. Student Senate held its annual opening picnic, 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 12 at the University Pond.

New senators gathered, learning names. Progress is the plan for the year and Senate is already developing new ideas to deliberate.

The officers for this academic year are President Hector Amaya, junior criminal justice major; Vice-President David Reed, senior political science major; Secretary Ivy Love, sophomore Spanish major; and Treasurer Mariya Gavrilova, senior marketing and Spanish major.

With several committee positions to fill, the Senate is keeping an eye out for contenders.

“We will be setting up a vacancy committee where we will take petitions,” Gavrilova said. “After our first or second business meeting we will choose who will hold what positions.”

The officers are excited about the activities for the upcoming year. Student Senate plans on adding a once-a-month community service project on Saturdays throughout the year. Several projects were mentioned, and one that was especially favored was the Hearts and Hammers organization, which rebuilds houses for under-privileged homeowners using a large volunteer workforce. The Senate has not set any concrete projects yet.

Senate meets at 5:30 p.m. every Wednesday night in the House of Lords Room in Billingsly Student Center.