Southern rolls over Harding 48-20

Junior quarterback Adam Hinspeter rolls out of the pocket against Harding.

Caleb Primm

The big question on everyone’s mind last week was how would Missouri Southern fare against a division II team after thrashing NAIA Haskell University 51-0?

The answer was just about the same. The Lions, led by 215 yards and four touchdowns from junior quarterback Adam Hinspeter, chased the Harding Bisons out of Hughes Stadium to the tune of a 48-20 victory.

Southern stepped on the accelerator early and did not let up. Hinspeter connected with sophomore wide receiver Isaac Norman just over five minutes into the game for a 25-yard touchdown strike. This capped off a 10-play, 80-yard drive.

Just five minutes after that, the Lions doubled their lead on a 5-yard pitch and catch from Hinspeter to sophomore tight end Korie Henry.

Defensively, Southern was stout. The Lions allowed only one rushing yard in the first frame and picked off Harding junior quarterback David Knighton three times.

Redshirt freshman safety Corderial Collier returned his second quarter interception 37 yards for a touchdown.

var uslide_show_id = “e0573445-005d-4433-abf0-843ae78033e4”;var slideshowwidth = “350”;var linktext = “”;

The second quarter was when Southern slammed the door, putting up 24 points in the second frame alone. It only took nine seconds of second-quarter action for Hinspeter and Norman to hook up again, this time for 22 yards. After a rare defensive lapse for the Lions, by way of a 70 yard scamper for Harding senior running back Ardell Briggs, the Bisons made their way onto the board with a one-yard touchdown run by senior Oklahoma State transfer Calvin Roberts.

It only took the offense 1:07 to retaliate. Senior All-American wide receiver Colin Bado took a Hinspeter pass 67 yards for a Southern touchdown.

The halftime score was 38-7 in favor of the Lions, who never trailed in the contest.

The highlight of the second half came eight minutes into the third quarter as senior LSU transfer Alley Broussard scored his first touchdown in the green and gold on a 39-yard run.

Broussard led all rushers with 110 yards on 10 carries with one touchdown. Hinspeter finished the game 17-26 for 215 yards and four touchdowns, tying a career high. Bado caught six balls for 95 yards and one score leading all receivers. Defensively, the Lions were paced by sophomore linebacker Jared Brawner who amassed an impressive 13 tackles and a half sack. Sophomore linebacker Rudy Mascaro recorded 10 tackles to go along with a sack of his own.

The Bisons were led offensively by Knighton, who finished the game 24-34 with two touchdowns and three interceptions. All-American safety Sevohn Greer was injured and out of the lineup for Harding which was led by senior Rocky Hall with nine tackles.

The Lions will next be in action tomorrow night at Hughes Stadium when they entertain Pittsburg State University for Miner’s Bowl X. Kickoff is slated for 6 p.m.