International Club gets ‘romantic’ for fund-raiser

International students answer questions from the crowd at the International Blind Date fund-raiser.

Julie Lybarger

The International Blind Date night, a fund-raiser for the Missouri Southern’s International Club, was held Sept. 28, in Webster Hall auditorium. Students joined in the fun, quizzing international students on the stage.

Rahila Khan, senior graphic design and photography major and International Club president, said the club put the event together as a way to raise additional funds instead of just dues.

“We did Mr. International last fall and it takes a lot of work and so we thought of Blind Date, which was not going to be as much work and so we decided to do it,” Khan said.

She said it was also a good way for international students to interact with local students, get to know new people, and just have fun.

“The money goes towards the activities of the club,” Khan said. “For example, every month we try to go out for dinner and a movie and the club pays part of the cost maybe $5 per person.”

She said the club has 60 members, and most of the time they have at least 30-40 members at events, so the money disappears quickly.

“With Blind Date it was only a $1 for entrance, we did not make a lot of money but people had fun and that is very important to us,” Khan said.

As students filed in and paid their entry fee, some signed up as contestants and were entered in a raffle for door prizes.

“Students filled out a form to be a contestant in the show,” said Jessica Reyelts, senior studio art major and member of the International Club. “They picked three nationalities to chose from and ask them questions, then picked the one that they wanted to go out on a date.”

Some of the questions that the contestant asked the international daters were what they were looking for in a date, and why the contestant should want to date the international dater.

“The participants also got to put there name into a drawing for door prizes,” said Nicole Segal, junior international studies major.

Erin Powers, junior psychology major, said that when the contestants chose their date, the couple got to draw out of a box where they would be going. Dates included gift certificates and the door prizes were donated by Joplin businesses.