Group seeks greener Plaster

One class at Missouri Southern is trying to make a difference.

The Organizational Behavior class will give a presentation at 10 a.m. today on their campus environmental findings.

The group concentrated on the “greening” of Plaster Hall, but the goal of its presentation is to foster an environmental consciousness on campus.Recycling, conserving energy and changing the perspective of staff and students are part of its recommendations.

“One of the first barriers that we hit was that we did not know what we had,” said Dr. Nanette Philibert, assistant professor of management.

Recycling service is currently available for paper, newspaper and cardboard, but hauling cans and plastic recyclables to an off-campus drop is left to the discretion of the custodial staff.

Class members were told that the campus saves $800 to $1000 per month in trash pickup from the current paper-recycling program. They want to expand savings through conservation.

Students can do their part by turning off lights and computers when not in use, says Stephanie Kyler, senior health promotions major.

“We do have to thank the janitors because they go around and shut off all the lights,” Kyler said. “It really should be the instructors and the students responsibility and not the janitors’ responsibility.”

The class hopes to establish a school philosophy on creating a green institution.