Campus closed Dec. 10

Students at Missouri Southern will not be sitting for final exams on Monday, not if they were to meet on campus. An ice storm has made campus conditions hazardous and shut off power to thousands of area residents. Southern administrators have canceled classes for Monday, Dec. 10. Campus e-mail is currently shut down due to the storm. Blackboard is available at http://mssu.blackboard.com.

The National Weather Service issued a warning at 9:45 p.m. Sunday evening calling for continued freezing rain and icy conditions. The current warning remains in effect until 12 p.m. Monday and a winter storm watch was issued extending through Tuesday afternoon.

Icy accumulations of up to 1.5 inches were reported in Barton and Jasper, Mo. counties and Crawford and Cherokee, Kan. counties. The storm line is expected to extend south during the next few hours.

******************UPDATE

Monday night’s Messiah dress rehearsal and the Tuesday, Dec 11 Messiah performance have been canceled.

The National Weather service has extended its ice storm warning for the area through midnight Tuesday. Additional warnings call for possible sleet and freezing rain. The forecast calls for accumulations of 1/4 to 1/2 inch and Monday’s storms are expected to reach north towards Kansas City and west towards Kansas.

Look for continued updates from The Chart on further campus cancellations.

INCLEMENT WEATHER CONTINGENCY PLAN FOR FINALS WEEK

(1) A cancelled evening final exam will be given on Friday evening of FinalExam Week at 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.

(2) A cancelled day final exam will be given on Saturday afternoon at 1:00- 3:00 p.m.; 3:30 – 5:30 p.m.; or 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. according to its orderon the published final exam schedule.For example, an exam originallyscheduled as the second exam on Monday would be rescheduledas the second exam on Saturday, i.e. at 3:30 – 5:30 p.m.