Campus closes at noon Feb. 21

LaRae Shanks, freshman elementary education, Kalie Shanks, freshman nursing and Lauren Dhans, freshman nursing, walk towards the residence halls.

Students clutching their cell phones filed from the buildings when the Missouri Southern campus closed at noon today. Some students called friends to tell them class would be canceled, others tried to find their ride.

“I wish they would have canceled it earlier, actually,” said Jamie Cox, freshman early childhood education major.

A commuter student, Cox said she was concerned about the drive.

Weather conditions had improved by the noon dismissal. A winter storm warning is in effect for the area until 6 p.m. Feb. 22, and freezing rain and sleet are expected to continue. Currently, day and evening classes and events for Feb. 21 are canceled. The Missouri Southern Jazz Orchestra’s Winter Showcase concert will be not take place this evening, but will be rescheduled.

Faculty and staff members were notified about the closing shortly before noon via e-mail. Many students stayed home due to the weather.

Dan Hays, sophomore computer forensics major, got back to campus after lunch where he heard about the closing in the parking lot.

“I wish they would have cancelled it before my test,” said Dan Hays sophomore computer forensics major.

Ice accumulations began in the early morning hours. John Shafer, custodial staff member, arrived for his shift at Billingsly Student Center at 4:30 a.m. by noon he had a layer of ice on his car.

“It’s had a little bit of time to accumulate,” he said, shaving off the ice. “Only good thing is there’s not as many limbs to fall this time.”