Track teams gear up for home meet, Tyson Invitational

The Missouri Southern track and field teams will host tonight’s Radio Shack Invitational in the Leggett and Platt Athletic Center. Competition will begin at 2:30 p.m. and last until 8 p.m. and tomorrow from 10 a.m.-8 p.m.

“There will be a good match of Division I schools and some strong Division II schools, said Tom Rutledge, men’s track and field coach.

“There will be schools here ranging from Oklahoma State University to Harding University.”

Both teams competed last week at the Central Missouri Mule Relays. The men’s track and field team was lead by another dominate performance from the pole vaulters.

Senior Jacob Williams finished second receiving a provisional to nationals with a height of 15 feet and seven inches. Junior Seagar Wilson finished behind Williams in third place, also earning a provisional.

“Four of our pole vaulters have been invited to the University of Arkansas Tyson Invitation this weekend, said Rutledge.

“Tyson is a privilege, but they should have a good weekend.”

Junior Phillip Horn and sophomore Corey Schumate tied for sixth with a height of 14 feet seven and a quarter inches. Assistant coach Kyle Rutledge won the pole vault even with a height of 16 feet six and three quarter inches.

Horn also placed third in the 60 meter hurdles, receiving a provisional, and 13th in the long jump with a distance of 21 feet and three quarter inches.

Sophomore Cory Reynolds finished second in the high jump with a height of six feet, seven inches. Sophomore Jordan Patton, who will also be going to the Tyson invitational, finished seventh in the 60 meter dash with a time of 6.97. Patton, however, placed fourth in the collegiate finishers.

“He broke a school record, Rutledge said.

“He just continues to get better every week.”

Sophomore Brennan Benkert and senior Ryan Arthur will also be competing in the Tyson Invitational in the 5,000 meter run. Freshman Aki Nummela will be competing in the one mile.

“We may run them Saturday at our own meet, but we’re not sure, Rutledge said.

“It all depends on how they are feeling.”

Freshman Kevin Wright finished seventh in the 600 yard run, while Andrew Wright finished 17th. Andrew Wright also placed 19th in the 200 meter dash. Derek Wright was 14th in the one mile run. Seniors John Isenman and Adam Sims were 11th and 15th in the shot put.

“Overall, our team is doing pretty good, but it is going to be hard to stop Central Missouri and Pitt State in the conference meet, Rutledge said.

“We need to spend this weekend fine tuning and getting better.”

On the women’s side, senior Jessica Self won the weight throw with a distance of 54 feet and one half inch. Self also won the shot put and received provisionals in both events.

Sophomore Cortney Vie placed second in the weight throw and shot put. Sophomore Emilie Mieseler placed third in the weight throw. Mieseler also finished fifth in the shot put with a distance of 39 feet and three inches. Sophomore Erin Steffens finished eighth in the shot put.

Senior Erica Culver and sophomore Ciara Lipsey tied for first place in the pole vault with a height of 11 feet and seven and three quarters inches. Culver and Lipsey both received provisionals in the pole vault.

Senior Kate Brittan was fifth in the 3,000 meter run, while sophomore Chandra Cole and junior Krista Merrill were seventh and 11th respectively.

Sophomore Jessie Wood finished fifth in the high jump. Sophomore Kayla Piley finished 11th in the 60 meter hurdles, as well as, 15th in the high jump. Sophomore Jestine Hayes placed 16th in the long jump. Hayes also finished fifth in the triple jump.

Junior Camille Brown was 11th in the 60 meter hurdles. Freshman Kelly McKay was sixth in the 200 meter dash, while junior Stacy Borgard was eighth in the 400 meter run dash.

Sophomore Courtney Waltbillig and freshman Olga Bulgarova finished third and seventh in the one mile run.

Freshman Carita Ruitta was 4th in the 600 yard run. Junior Shannan Borgard and Camille Brown finished fifth and sixth.