HCR 7 stresses international eduation

International students from the University of Central Missouri gathered in Jefferson City to watch the hearing of House Concurrent Resolution 7. HCR 7 declares that international experience is an essential element of a balanced education.

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. –

Missouri Southern may be years ahead of its time.

House Concurrent Resolution 7, touts the importance of international education. HCR 7 sponsor Rep. David Pearce,(R-Warrensburg), hopes HCR 7 will “encourage students and faculty at Missouri’s higher education institutions to participate in international education programs, including foreign language instruction and study abroad.

“The resolution also will recognize contributions that international students offer to Missouri’s economy and cultural landscape.”

The bill lists the learning of foreign languages, cultural awareness and perception of the world economy as crucial elements in making Missouri students “competitive in a global market.”

“It’s very great to hear they [international students] came to Missouri and the first place they visit is Warrensburg or Kirksville,” Pearce said.

One of the primary concerns surrounding the bill is the difficulty of international travel caused by national security precautions.

“We want to open doors for people who want to study here,” said Dr. Joy Stevenson, executive director of international programs at the University of Central Missouri. The resolution also draws attention to the importance of international travel, for both American and international students. “I am very far away from home, very far and this may be the only chance I have say how much I appreciate it,” said Thitinun Boonseng, president of the Missouri International Student Council.

He says he plans to take nine of his “American friends” back to Thailand for a visit.