Lion Pride band gears up for season performances

courtesy photo of MSSU.edu

Lion Pride band playing at a Southern football game.

The Missouri Southern State University band is gearing up for another year. They can already be heard from all around campus practicing their music.

Don Linn is the newest addition to the music faculty as Director of Bands.

“This band will be successful because of its wonderful, passionate, and hard-working students who have already been so impressive this year,” Linn said.

Linn is a man of tradition. He wants to keep what makes the band great the same, while building from that. He does not want to change anything because he would like to honor the traditions here at Missouri Southern. He will bring new music and his style of teaching paired with the talent of the band.

Linn may be new to the university, but he has high goals set for the band students. He expects his students to reach higher levels of music through the year, while also growing together as a group.

There are going to be five shows held during home games through the season. The band will kick off the year with a superhero themed show during their first game on September 5. There is also going to be a tribute show for the 50th anniversary of the moon landing, a Queen themed show during Homecoming, a 1970’s themed show, and a patriotic show to end the season.

The university band does more than perform at football games. They also play a big role within the Joplin community.

The band will be present on September 19 for Third Thursday. The band is also apart of the Maple Leaf Parade, the Homecoming Parade, and the Joplin Christmas Parade.

“We love bringing the energy and sound everywhere we go,” Linn said.

One of the most important performances for the university band is MSSU Band Day (Massed Band Day).

“We are excited this year to bring nearly 700 high school musicians from 14 different high school bands to campus for our first home game on September 5th.”

Because of the number of people that will be performing, this event is quite unique. The bands will join to play during the halftime show of the first home football game on September 5. The giant band of nearly 800 performers will come together to deliver a special show.

“This is a great way to show our community and, hopefully, many prospective Lions what college band, college football, and college excitement are all about. Our hope is to give all of these students a very positive experience at Southern and give them a halftime performance that they will never forget,” Linn said.

The band is prepared to offer a great experience to the university and community.