Senate hears HLC update, advances fee resolution

Preparations for the Higher Learning Commission visit came to

Student Senate during the March 5 meeting.

Betsy Griffin, assistant vice president for academic affairs and Jack Oakes, professor of computer information services, gave Senators a presentation on Missouri Southern’s preparations. Dr. Cliff Toliver, professor of English and director of the First Year Experience talked about the program, which will replace college orientation at Southern next fall.

The HLC team will have a student- only open forum at 2:30 p.m. on April 1.

The purpose of the visit is to renew Southern’s accreditation. Oakes says the team may offer suggestions on several levels, but he guaranteed students that Southern will pass.

Oakes, who is also an evaluator for the HLC, said the student forum will give the team a chance to evaluate improvements for Southern.

“It’s open session. If there is an issue that you want to talk about then that’s your prerogative,” Oakes said. “It’s for the team but it’s also HLC’s way of giving students a voice in this process, so they don’t come in just to ask specific questions and expect you just to answer those.

“They will give you the opportunity to speak about whatever is on your mind.”

The HLC report has two components: assurance and advancement sections.

“There’s a good chance that some of the advice that they give us will come out of the session with the students,” Oakes said. “I know from experience that the teams take this student session very seriously and we hope that you’ll be there.”

The HLC visit runs March 31 through April 2.

Student Senate President Tim Fisher, senior history major, encouraged Senators to participate in the discussion during the HLC visit.

“I feel that it is really important that we take an active role in our education, the student forum is just a good example of that,” Fisher said.

Senators passed a resolution calling on the administration to re-evaluate the schedule for refund of tuition and fees. A resolution approving the recreation center fee received its first reading.

The fees would be $150 per semester for students taking seven or more credit hours, $75 per semester for students taking six or fewer credit hours, $150 per semester for faculty members and $25 for all students and faculty for maintenance once construction debts are satisfied.

Appropriations were approved for the National Broadcast Society, Omicron Delta Kappa and Public Relations Student Society of America. Each group received $1000 for convention trips.