Weems’ opening recital wows Webster Auditorium

From pieces about childhood to well-known masterpieces and ragtime, the opening recital of the Missouri Southern International Piano Competition featuring Nancy Weems was a hit.

Monday evening’s opening recital featured Weems performing five musical selections including: Bach, Schumann, Busoni, Gershwin and Albright. The audience was enthralled with her performance.

“Fantastic!” Alan Livingston said.

Alan and his wife, Rita, do not have musical backgrounds, but still found Weems to be an excellent performer and pianist. They were amazed at the skill and talent found within the recital and enjoyed it immensely. This was their first time at the MSIPC and probably not the last after witnessing what talented pianists can do.

There were many people like the Livingstons at the recital who enjoyed it, but there were quite a few MSSU students there who were surprised at what a good time they had.

“You could see her love pour though her fingers as she played compositions that were dear to her heart,” said Matt Hickman, junior Spanish major.

There were students there for assignments that ended up happy they had to be there because they saw the passion and theatric flare Weems shows in her piano playing.

“Her passion and amazing musical talent caused me to entertain thoughts of moving a baby grand into my apartment and becoming a music major,” said Charity Reid, freshman undecided major.

Students and others in the audience were not the only ones impressed by Weems’ performance and those competing in the MSIPC.

Board members said they are still amazed and in awe of the talent they see coming from young performers and from established performers, such as Weems.

“A fun recital and fun to play,” Weems said after her performance.

The whole night was a success and the audience was definitely entertained. There were even moments when you could catch heads bobbing along with the ragtime tunes and feet tapping with the rhythm.

Weems has a dramatic flare when she performs and that makes for a great opening recital.

“It was a scintillating display of exquisite talent,” said Shawn Cheney, junior international business major.