Southern in da club

Parker Willis/The Chart (Above) Alonzo DJ O.Z. Medcalf (left), senior mass communication major, spins during The Creamerys back to school bash. Sam DJ McD McDonald (right), senior mass communication major, coordinated the event. (Below) Several Southern students showed up for the back to school bash and the downtown Joplin restaurant and bar.

Parker Willis/The Chart (Above) Alonzo “DJ O.Z.” Medcalf (left), senior mass communication major, spins during The Creamery’s back to school bash. Sam “DJ McD” McDonald (right), senior mass communication major, coordinated the event. (Below) Several Southern students showed up for the back to school bash and the downtown Joplin restaurant and bar.

For anyone that missed the back to school bash at The Creamery last Saturday, don’t fret there will be another one in the near future.

Several Missouri Southern students teamed up to throw a back-to-school party that turned out better than anyone had suspected. They advertised with fliers strewn across campus and placed on nearly every windshield in the 417 area code.

“We had no idea it was going to blow up like that,” said Alonzo “DJ O.Z.” Medcalf, senior mass communication major. “The problem in the past has always been location and sound. This time everything fell into place. People are still talking about it and wanting to know when the next one is.”

Currently the group plans to have another party for homecoming.

“We don’t want to make people wait too long,” Medcalf said. “But a little waiting is good. Right now we don’t know if we’re are going to do something sooner, but guaranteed there will be some kind of dance and event for Homecoming.”

The Creamery many not host the next event, but Medcalf was very happy with the turnout from Saturday’s party and anticipates using the venue in the future.

The event was coordinated by Sam “DJ McD” McDonald, senior mass communication major, under his company’s name Four State Entertainment. Southern student, Daron “Snacks” Harris, senior mass communication major, emceed the event.

“There were people behind the scenes that handed out fliers and stuff but the entertainment was provided by me, Snacks and Sam,” Medcalf said.

For anyone interested in booking the group, or just an individual performer Medcalf said they are available for hire.

But he doesn’t work just solely for Four State Entertainment.

“I’m what’s called a mobile DJ,” Medcalf said. “I’ve done everything from proms to family reunions.”

Medcalf has also done school events on campus including the Zeta Tau Alpha formal dance.

For more information please visit www.myspace.com/oz24sci, for Medcalf alone, or www.Fourstateentertainment.