Clark returns for second stint at MSSU

Rhonda Clark guides her class through an assignment in the Webster Hall computer lab. Clark is a Missouri Southern alumna who has returned twice to work with students.

A familiar face on Missouri Southern’s campus is back for more.

Rhonda Clark, assistant professor of communication, graduated from Southern and later worked here supervising The Chart as publications manager.

“I had worked on The Chart as a student, and when they approached me about a position, I decided to go ahead and interview for the job,” Clark said about her decision to come back to Southern.

While she was a student here, she graduated with a degree in mass communication.

She later went on to attend the Oklahoma State University School of Journalism and Broadcasting to get her master’s degree.

“I had been doing some volunteer PR type work and I got the opportunity to work with the media and do press releases,” Clark said about her choice to study communication. “I wanted to come back and learn more about that side of the industry.”

Southern is changing everyday. More students, new faculty and even brand new buildings are some of the changes it’s facing. But, a lot of change is what Clark liked to see.

“When I was a student, Webster Hall was brand new,” she said. “I’m glad to see that they’re getting more with the science and technology building.

“I believe that’s an area that has improved in the last 10 years.”

Clark is no unfamiliar face in the newspaper industry. She has worked for many community newspapers and The Tulsa World where she was a copy editor for the sports section. She also works on campus with Crossroads, a former student magazine that has become an alumni publication.

In her spare time, Clark likes to devote her time to her family. She also enjoys showing Arabian horses.

“I got my first horse when I was 14, which at the time we were living in Oklahoma,” said Clark. “That horse went everywhere with me.”

Being back on campus, a lot of memories come back for Clark. Her old friends and old teachers aren’t the first thing that comes to mind.

“Working on The Chart is probably my greatest memory as a student,” Clark said. “It’s a valuable experience for students who are going into media because working for The Chart is a hands-on experience and that prepares students for the work ethic.”