Students weigh in on medical school idea

Students at Missouri Southern have a variety of reasons why they either support or discourage the plan to construct a medical school on Missouri Southern’s campus.

The Chart asked a few students to weigh in on their concerns. Some were uncertain who would actually pay for it.

Dee Ogle, sophomore speech major, said the money pledged for the medical school will be “a drop in the bucket” compared to what students will pay.

Sure, a million dollars will be donated here, $500,000 there, but we [students] still had to end up footing the bill for close to $13 million for that building,” she said.

She also expressed concern for the native prairie as a possible building site location. She said other Universities would love to have a unique prairie like Southern’s within walking distance.

“They also need to understand how important a 40-acre native prairie is, because when you say ‘native prairie,’ that means it’s never been disturbed,” Ogle said. “If they put a building on it, we’ll never have the prairie back.”

Zeke Tarrant, student representative on the Board of Governors, said he is personally excited that Southern will continue to look for a medical school partner. However, as a biology major who would use the prairie as part of school, he is also concerned over the location.

“It might be the only location,” he said. “If that’s the case, I don’t want to say whether Missouri Southern should or shouldn’t [build it].

“I’ve only talked to the president just in passing about the project, and I know the administration is looking forward to the school just because of the economic impact it would have…”

Though many have voiced their opposition, not all students are against the idea.

“I think it’s a good idea because I think it progresses us,” said Carrie Brown, a sophomore health science major. “It’s a step that we need to take.”

“It’s not the fact that the medical school is a bad thing for the community,” added Ogle, “but I think the community needs to be behind it.”